Saturday, February 14, 2015

February 14, 2015 - Dinosaur Lake and Pig Pond

Title: February 14, 2015 - Dinosaur Lake and Pig Pond
Trail head: Pacheco State Park Parking Lot
Hike Info:
Type:  Hiking
Trail: Spikes Peak Road, Pig Pond, and Dinosaur Lake
Destination: Loop with Dinosaur Lake and Pig Pond
Distance: 5.89 miles 1
Start Time:  9:36
End Time:   1:35
Travel Time: 3:59 (1.43 mph)
Moving Time: 2:24 (2.42 mph)
Elevation Rise: 1,193'
Maximum Elevation: 1,499'
 1I did not turn on my GPS until about 10 minutes into the hike. So the distance traveled, time walked and elevation rise are all approximations based upon the GPS readings of this and other hikes in the area.

Description:
Got up and found that I was missing half of my front tooth. What a way to start the day! But it is not hurting so that is a good thing. We leave the house by 6:30 and get to the Kohl's parking lot soon after.  We have about 20 people coming with us today, meeting some at Pacheco and others in Los Banos. It is clear in Fresno, with a little bit of haze. But when we cross the San Joaquin along 152, we get hit by fog for about 10 miles. All arrive safe at Pacheco State Park around 9:15.

Oak Tree Silhouette
By 9:35 we are on the trail today. We are doing three trails I have walked a couple of times before. This is the first time I am walking it so early in the year. We are doing the Spikes Peak Road, Pig Pond, and Dinosaur Lake trails counter-clockwise. So the very first part of the trail is one of my favorites. As you climb the first hill, you get to look out over Pacheco Pass, the traffic going over 152, the wide spot before the highway descends steeply on both sides of the pass. It just feels like you can watch the whole world pass you by in the tranquility of the hill.

Road to Pig Pond
Pig Pond in the distance

But I have 21 people waiting for me so I must not lose myself in thought. After going through a cattle control gate, we come to the first of many trail junctions. We take the Pig Pond trail and after a third of a mile, we see the pond coming into view. No pigs in sight and the pond is pretty full compared to the last several times we have seen it. After the hike, Sherri tells me that she talked to a couple teenagers. They said they went down into the oaks on the north end of the lake and saw a mountain lion (Sherri says they said a bobcat).  What I saw of them, they were scurrying away pretty quickly.
Pig Pond

Speaking of Sherri, I have her doing sweep, making sure she keeps tab on the back of the group. I am trying to keep towards the front. there is a lot of trail junctions-not all of them are marked. I am fortunate as I have several other organizers on this trip: Lee, Donna, John, Jerry J and Jerry K, plus several other capable people. So I feel pretty confident I will not be losing anybody going off in the wrong direction.

After passing by Pig Pond, we climb up a little hill to a picnic bench. The first place were everybody waits. But we get a good view of the Coastal Range peaks to the south and west of us. Peaks like Fremont and Spikes.

View upon descent


Coming Up To Ridge
But now that all have caught up, it is time to do a good descent into Salt Creek. There is nothing great about Salt Creek, except that is the last of a 300' descent-our longest of the day.Of course, as we are going down, we get to enjoy the greenness of the spring grass around us, along with a few early wildflowers-I do not know their names, except for mustard and the California Golden Poppy. I guess I am a poor visitor not to at least learn our hosts names.

Windmills on ridge
After a break at Salt Creek, we start our way up. Now this is where my confusion starts. I remember the trail here going up the side of a road, with a steeper access road, which is true. But my memory says that the two do not combine, but there it does just a little ways up. The climb is a bit steep, but not far. It is not steep enough that we stop talking. But after a ways, the windmills come into view. And there is the road which leads up to them. What happened to Dinosaur Lake? Wasn't that to come before? Jerry K tries to reassure me that it comes later. But I am wondering, did I miss a turn off? Oh well, as long as we are here, we might as well go on up to the windmills. We take a lunch break here and enjoy the view of Mammoth Lake in front of us, the blades slowly spinning above us and the warm sunshine on our backs.
Meetup on windmills

Sherri and gang











I am still wondering where Dinosaur Lake went to. But hiking the hill tops is still so good that I stop that wondering. Evidently the rest of meetup group is in the same frame of mind because there is the relaxed pace of enjoyment pervading our group. The air is clear and we can see the snow tops of the Sierras. The grasses at our feet gently waving in a light breeze, so good of a day-and this is February!

Dinosaur Lake
Then we start descending again, and we see it: Dinosaur Lake. I am thankful that Jerry K is right! I talk a bit about was there really Dinosaurs or not? Do you want to romantic view or those of the more practical? I side on the romantic. A few years ago, some kids from Los Banos did a paper which sort of sides with that the formations were not right for dinosaurs in these parts. Still, it is not conclusive, so I can enjoy the pleasure of seeing a giant dinosaur print where this lake is. Of course, there is the dam which forms the lake, which helps with the dinosaur paw.

San Luis Reservoir
After this bit of excitement, we hid up to the top of the ridge above Dinosaur Lake and follow it northward. After two-thirds of a mile, we hit Windmill Road and some people wander up the road to see a good view of San Luis Reservoir. Ah, but if they just waited a little bit, they would have seen even a better view. This one with wildflowers in the fore-front. The picture on the right is sans flowers-see below for an example. This is the begining of the end to our hike.

We turn back around the ridge and hit Windmill Road and walk it for a ways. There are some offshoots to this road, so I keep the group relatively close together until we hit the trail branching off to the left. I believe it is the old Dinosaur Point Road, but whatever it is, we follow it up the last tiny ridge and into the meadow/pasture we started off in.

When we get back to the car, we see two of our vehicles-not mine-have parking violations on them. One just flat out did not see the iron ranger. The other did deposit money, but forgot to tear off the tag. Hope they can work with the State Park on it. Some of us finish off our hike by going to Black Bear Dinner in Los Banos. For the most part the food was good, but there was exceptions. This was our waitress' first day on the job and there was some confusion. Also one of our members had a vastly undercooked hamburger. We make it back to Fresno by 4:30 or 5:00, pretty content with the hike.

San Luis Reservior



Trail Lesson: Make sure I know where I am going and where I am at.








Pig Pond from ridge



Dinosaur Lake




No comments:

Post a Comment