Thursday, May 20, 2021

May 20, 2021 - Return from Weaver Lake

 


Title: May 20, 2021 - Return from Weaver Lake
Hike Info : Description : Menu : Extra Photo's : Animals : Flowers and Plants


Trail head: Weaver Lake
Hike Info:
Type: Backpacking
Trail: Weaver Lake Trail
Destination: Big Meadows Trailhead
Actual Destination:
Distance:  3.28 miles 1
Start Time: 10:40
End Time:     1:11

Travel Time:  2:31 (1.30 mph)
Moving Time: 1:57  (1.68 mph)
Elevation Rise:  188'
Descent: 1,242‘
Maximum Elevation: 8,711'

GPS Tracks

  1I forgot to turn on the GPS until we hit the trail coming out of Weaver Lake. I am estimating the distance traveled would be between a quarter and a third of a mile.

Description:

Early Morning Light
I got up at my normal time, around 6:30am. It seems a bit cool. I put on my T-shirt and three long-sleeve shirts along with my rain jacket-no rain in sight. I did sleep pretty well and warmly last night, Sherri is sound asleep.

So I wandered around the lake some. All is calm. I do not see my friend from last night, but neither am I looking hard for him. After being around for an hour, I come back to camp and read until Sherri gets up. We are not moving very fast, nor do we need to. Of course, if we were to move, maybe we would warm up. After a while, Sherri fixes breakfast, the usual backpacking breakfast, oatmeal and toppings. I cheated and had some granola earlier.


Gary picking up litter


Sort of strange, Sherri is getting a bit colder-and by no means is she wrong. On the other hand, I started to shed as I stayed in the sunlight. Now we are packed and just about ready to go. There is really no reason to stay. While it is clear,we know the forecast of it getting cold and possible snow.

About 10:30, the packs go on our shoulders and we are off. We make our way across the creek. Then instead of going around to the lake, I cut across and down. After about 10 minutes, we found the trail. I realize that I have not turned on the GPS. So I will be missing a bit of the track. And then right on the trail, there is an old fire ring. With it it looks like they burnt trash. Whoever created the fire ring, did not take their foil and other things. So I channel my Dad and put it into my garbage bag.

Beware-there are Killer Trees
It certainly is faster going downhill and easier. But we stopped to talk with people. Such as a couple from Bakersfield. We talked for a good ten minutes about where they have been, how many people did we see at Weaver, and general chit-chat. We hit the junction pretty quickly after that. No stopping us.

Gary found a view



Just before we meet the Fox Canyon trail, we meet four young men charging up. Looks like they will be camping overnight tonight. They confirm the assumption-at Jennie Lake. We talk a bit about the weather forecast and the chances of snow and preparation. They say they are prepared-at least one sounds like they are. We wish them well.

Sherri wonders about the route the trail will take. I am thinking it is higher up on a ridge. Turns out she is pretty much spot on. We cross a creek and descend to the area where

Gary on a small creek crossing
Big Meadow Creek wanders through. Even though it is only about half a mile more to the car, we stop for an energy bar. I do not think it was needed to make it back, but more to have a few minutes without a pack on the back. It is a pleasant stop and we do not need to move too fast or far, so it is nice just sitting and enjoying our last few minutes of our trip.

We cross Big Meadows Creek and then go up the short rise back to the car. It is always a relief to see the car in tact. Loading the car and getting ready to go is pretty quick. Now what to do with that time-honored tradition: the after hike meal. We decided to go to DNC in Grant Grove. We both order a Grant Burger and are satisfied. I am still in my shorts and T-shirt. But I am glad to be out of the breeze and in the sun. Evidently it would get much cooler. I was talking with a firefighter a week later and he told me that he was holding an outdoor meeting that afternoon. It just got colder and colder and colder.

We leave around 1:30 and get back to Fresno by 5:00. Another good trip.

 


Menu

Breakfast

Lunch

Dinner

Snacks

Oatmeal and add-ins, such as dried peaches, strawberries, nuts, granola. Tang.

Grant Burgers at DNC in Grant Grove

Home

Energy Bar


Extra Photo's

Looking North across the Kings

Is this cloud a portent of things to come?

Sherri and Gary

Sherri and Gary

Early Morning Light

Animals

Beetle



 
Flowers and Plants

Phlox


Some sort of fungi

Western Wallflower

Manzanita

 





No comments:

Post a Comment