Thursday, September 9, 2021

Sept 9, 2021 - Day Three: Fillmore, UT to Gros Ventre Campground

Title: Sept 9, 2021 - Day Three: Fillmore, UT to Gros Ventre Campground


Trail head: 
Comfort Inn, Fillmore UT
Hike Info:
Type: Car

Mileage: 431 miles

 
Description:

I got up at 7:15 local time-a bit later than I usually do. But if I think in terms of Fresno time, it is 6:15. That helps me feel better. I do check the lightning for the area of the Sierra I am interested in; like most mornings-nothing. But according to the fire weather, today may bring a change in the report tomorrow.

We leave the hotel at 8:45 with Sherri driving. The hotel gives us a “to go” bag breakfast consisting of a muffin, a drink, a fruit, and a couple of other things. I dig into my stash of granola. We go up I-15 for an hour until we reach Provo. We look for a Starbucks, wandering a couple of miles and not finding it. But we found a Corner Bakery. Sherri has a breakfast wrap where the wrap is spinach based. This is a better find than Starbucks.

We change drivers and go into Salt Lake City. Here we look for Costco-we have to wade through some streets which are being worked on. We get to Costco, get gassed up and go into the store. My prescription is ready and then I find Sherri. This is a BIG Costco. The diary section is not a walk-in, but a walk through with four lines of long shelves. We pick up bread, lots of bread and a few other things.

Driving away from Costco, I think we are going in the wrong direction. This time, not because I am going wrong, but following the GPS instructions. Once we figure out what is going on, I realize Google is taking me to the east on I-80. We drive for another hour till we reach Evanston. There we head north on US 89.

This is the start of a long trip up through Wyoming. And Utah and Idaho-at least we kept seeing signs saying we are entering Wyoming again. Frankly around there I did not see much difference in the country. Still the area was interesting. Around Evanston there were farms throughout there. As we traveled more north, the farms were on rolling hills until the hills turned into ridges and mountains covered by forests. Still in the valleys, there would be a farm. But when we get to the Snake River, our jaws drop and we enjoy following it. Too bad we did not have the time to stop along each nook and cranny to enjoy it.

By about 4:40 or 5, we are getting hungry and there is nary a McDonalds in sight. A couple eating establishments mentioned online are either not visible or look closed. So when we came to the town of Thayne, we were ready to stop at Juan’s House of Tacos. I did not have the tacos-went for the enchiladas (that is what I was in the mood for. Surprisingly good. Usually Mexican food outside of California can be a bit iffy.

A little while later, we passed through Jackson. Looks crowded. But we know we are almost to today’s destination.

We get to Gros Ventre Campground at 6:30pm. The first thing we do is seek out Andrea and Lawrence’s campsite. Not hard. There, we unload the food since we will be cooking and eating here. After unloading the food, they come over and help us set up our campsite-a different loop. We are in Loop G, campsite 366. They are on Loop B. It is about a third of a mile walk. With as many campsites as Gros Ventre has, there is still a feeling of set apartness from other campers. As we finish up with the camp, it gets dark. So Lawrence and Andrea head back. We get ready for bed. I check to see if there is any lightning activity in the Sierra-yes. So I will be doing that when I get up tomorrow. Around 9, we are tucked in. Me in my sleeping bag; Sherri in her quilt. And by 10, I am sound asleep.


Background

Trip Advisor:

Juan’s House of Taco’s: This place was a surprise. Many times when we have gotten Mexican food outside of California, it has disappointed. Not Juan’s. I had three enchiladas: beef, chicken and cheese while my wife had a taco and chili relleno. All of the food was good and satisfying. If I go here again-we were traveling, I would hold back on their green sauce and go with the red. While the green was not really hot, the red seemed to go better between my taste buds and the food. So if you are passing through Thayne, stop and enjoy. (I should add, the service was personal and good, with heavily accented English,)

Gros Ventre Campground: This is a National Park Campground, which has gone to reservation only from first-come, first-serve. Make no mistake, this is a large campground with full-flush bathrooms and bear lockers. But even though it is large, with over three hundred campsites, you do not “feel” the largeness. Campsites are arranged for some privacy and do not feel on top of each other. This is a good spot to stay.

We were also entertained by a daily moose spotting.

No comments:

Post a Comment