Wednesday, June 5, 2013

June 5, 2013 - Vogelsang


Title: June 5, 2013 - Vogelsang
Trail head: Trail Jct at Lyell Canyon
Hike Info:
Trail: To Vogelsang from Lyell Canyon
Destination: Vogelsang
Distance: 6.85 miles
Travel Time: 6:22 (1.08 mph)
Moving Time: 3:52 (1.77 mph)
Elevation Rise: 2,101'
Maximum Elevation: 10,643'

Description:

Got up around 6:15. Woke up earlier, but did not want to emerge from my warm cocoon. I slept cold last night in my poncho tent. But once I put on my socks, the whole body warmed up. We did not do too much in a hurry this morning, so we left a little after 9.

Ireland Creek
Betty and Gary and Erhart Peak
We climb up pretty good. Betty is mostly in the lead. There is a lot of huffing and puffing and slow travel, at least on my part. But the climb is compensated for by the beauty we see around us. As we rise, we can see more of the Kuna Crest. Also Potter'sPoint starts to shrink as we get closer to level with it.

I am reminded of the walk I did with Andrea, Laura and Monica 12 years ago. I definitely was dragging as I picked up the rear then. This time, while feeling like a pack mule, more because of my lumbering speed, I do not have that drained feeling.  Consequently I am seeing a lot more.
Kuna Crest

We make it to the high point, about 10,600', by 12:30.  We spend a few minutes gawking.  Well, we should do that since the view is DDG. Betty's constant react is "Oh wow!" And well it should be. We can see east to the Kuna Crest; south maybe to Donohue Pass; and north to Tuolumne Meadows--not the meadows itself, but the mountains surrounding it.
Hikers and View


We head down to an unnamed lake after the ridge. Had lunch of humus and stuff. It started to sprinkle on us. A good thing, the sprinkles and the cloud cover cooled down the air; the bad thing is that there is a lot more dark clouds, with some patches of blue, following the sprinkles. Will we be having a major storm?

We get on our way. The trail is now rolling between lakes. We pass Evelyn Lake, with only trying to find a way to cross the outlet-we did without mishap.  Saw a large fish-12-15" maybe, when I cross the outlet. Thunder started rumbling and Betty even saw a streak of lightening.  This make me want to hurry-some  because we are exposed and some because I have a metal frame pack. We get over a final ridge and start dropping down into Vogelsang. During a stop, I notice that a ring holding a clip has come off of my pack. I fashion a new clip from some wire I carry on my pole and am only five minutes behind Sherri and Betty. 

Sherri and Betty
Evelyn Lake
Rain Clouds
We get to Vogelsang. The bathrooms are locked to the disappointment of the ladies. As we look up at the bowl where Vogelsang Lake resides, we see a lot of snow up there. We decide to go back a couple of hundred yards to some campsites we saw. One was found with a good view of the mountains across the way and down Rafferty Canyon. We parked by it-aways from Fletcher Lake, but still close. We are in by 3:30, with the skies still threatening.

Fletcher Lake
Sunset
The tent is pitched, my poncho shelter is put up and we walk around the lake-well, until we come to a creek we would to be able to cross without getting wet. Dinner comes out around 5:30-a burrito surprise of some type. Then it is just messing around until the sun goes down. Oh yeah, the skies are clearing up nicely and the sun is warming us up.  Nice looking sunset. Looks like bed time is around 8:15 or so.










No comments:

Post a Comment