Wednesday, July 8, 2015

July 8, 2015 - Ostrander Lake


Title: July 8, 2015 - Ostrander Lake
Trail head: Ostrander Lake
Hike Info:
Type:  Backpacking
Trail: Ostrander Lake
Destination:Ostrander Lake
Distance:   6.46 miles 1
Start Time: 2:42
End Time:   7:13
Travel Time: 4:30 (1.44 mph)
Moving Time: 3:23 (1.91 mph)
Elevation Rise: 1,790'
Maximum Elevation: 8,596'
 1Part of this mileage was trying to find an unoccupied camp space. Also does not include me chasing Keirnan



Description:
Got up at 6 with the house all quiet. Had my quiet time, reflecting on life on the trail. I edited yesterday's hike's pictures.
But before I begin today's story, I need to say what happened last  night. About 10pm, Keirnan came in on a Greyhound. Keirnan is a woman of about 30 who has been followed by several of the Fresno Ladies of the JMT. She is doing her second attempt at the JMT-Sherri thinks this may be her third. Her story in getting here is an adventure-you can read about on her blog.  The greeting committee included Rose C, Sherri and myself.  After leaving the bus station, we all meet at our house and Jan F joined us there. We stayed up to 11:30, talking and enjoying each others company.
It is now 8:40 and we are ready to leave Fresno. We let Rose know and then meet her at 4 Corners along Highway 41. Keirnan left our car, but we meetup with Rose and Keirnan At Petes Place in Oakhurst, getting breakfast and sandwiches for lunch on the trail. I have pancakes and eggs, leaving me pretty full and satisfied.
Ranger A, Gary and Keirnan
Our next stop is the Wawona Ranger Station. Sherri and I are getting our permit for Ostrander. Keirnan is picking up her permit for the first part of the JMT. Rose will walk with her Thursday, camping with her Wednesday night. But at the Ranger Station, we found out that Keirnan can get a permit to do the whole JMT. She would leave today and stay in Little Yosemite Valley. But this means Rose cannot walk with her. So we invite Rose to backpack with us. Bingo, everybody will be on the trail today! (There is a bit more to this story, but this is it in a nutshell)
We drive down to Glacier Pt to drop of Keirnan, to start her JMT journey. But Keirnan's life is not that simple. The farewell is good, hugs and pictures all the way around, along with a prayer for her. And off she goes. That would be off she goes without her id and money which Rose finds in her vehicle. Rose passes the wallet to me and off I go. Now I already know the Keirnan can walk, and walk quickly. I head down the trail towards Illilouette Creek.  Now it is a matter of catching her. I asked several  groups of people if they had seen her-some have, some haven't. So I continue on. As I was giving up on finding her, I spotted her, waved and shouted. I thought she heard me, but as i approached her, she started walking on. But I caught up to her. Tears of gladness and appreciation-I think. Also a hug and wishing her goodness on the trail.
Now a long walk back up the mile and a half to the Glacier Pt parking ride. I pushed myself, but going uphill is not my strong suite. So I stop and gather some oxygen. When I get to the top, Rose has gone on to the trail head to sort through her equipment; Sherri is waiting patiently without a key to get into the car. So by the time we get to the Ostrander Lake trail head, it is 2:30, with rain threatening.
Wishful thinking sign

So off we go, but not before commenting about the wishful thinking on a sign.  The first part of this trail is relatively flat, we are fresh-at least two of the three of us, and we go pretty quickly. Our first break is the  log at the Deer Camp trail junction. Nothing special, just a nice breaking place-Sherri's and mine tradition. The log is deteriorating since we first start sitting on it 30+ years ago.

Ghost Forest
But now it is time for the  climb part. I comment, somewhat tongue in cheek that if I get more than a quarter mile behind, wait for me. Little did I know that this would be more of a grind up than a bounce in my step. We pass through the Ghost Forest from a big burn (the Horizon Ridge Fire) in 1994. There are many small pines starting to crowd out the brush. Looks better, still unnerving to see the poles of burnt trees sticking above a low sea of green.  When we get to the top of Horizon Ridge, I ask if anyone needs a break-I know I needed one. There are some downed logs up there which makes for good seating.
Now it is on to going up the spine of Horizon Ridge. Which on the whole is not bad and usually I have a lot of energy. But today, I am beat, starting to lag behind. To add to things, a few drops are starting to fall, which leaves us wondering, will we make it to camp before a downpour. We continue up without doing a lot of sight seeing. Sherri still says that the trail went a different way. One of these days I will need to match up an old and new map and see.

Gary and Rose on Ski Hut Steps
We get to Ostrander Lake about 6:45 and now need to find a camp spot. But before we do, we stand on the steps of the ski hut and enjoy the view of the lake. Most of the standard camp spots is on the west side of the lake. We see several which would be good if the lake was crowded, but right now it feels like we would be crowding someone else. Besides that, there are some kids from Camp Tawonga which sounds like they are enjoying themselves. After circling around, we grab a spot, a little ways away from a couple with a tent and hammock. Sherri and I have slept here before-we probably have slept in 90% of the camp sites on this lake.

We now go to the delicate art of selecting where to pitch a tent. I reject one good site because I am concerned if it does rain, it will flood up. We had part of our Pete's Place sandwich on the trail, but the rest of it gets eaten for dinner, instead of our cabbage-beef wrap. But we do not hesitate on downing our Girl Scout mint cookies before putting the food away and preparing for bed.

A pleasant day, even if it is not the day which we expected. I am glad it turned out that way. We were able to help Keirnan, making a new friend,  and enjoy the company of Rose.


Trail Lesson:   The trail is many things- it is not God, but an instrument of God.

Indian Paintbrush


Alpine Lily

No comments:

Post a Comment