Monday, March 25, 2024

March 25, 2024 - Go to Port Angeles

 


 Title: March 25, 2024 - Go to Port Angeles





Hike Info:
Type:Car

Mileage: 278 miles

Drive Time: 5:30

 



Description:

The early morning looks something like this: David got up before me; I have my breakfast; and Lawrence is up and needs to go to work-I used to know what that was. After saying goodbye to him, we went for a walk to the Capitol Park. The cherry blossoms are still there, but not as dense on the trees or swirling around in the wind. The wind and rain must have knock a lot of them down. If I had not seen them Saturday, this sight would have been really nice. Now? It is still good, but more on the OK side of things.

When we get back, Andrea is up, followed shortly by Sherri. After they have breakfast, we pack to go to Port Angeles. Today will be almost all drive time. It does take a little while to pack, but not a long time. We do have Andrea with us, so we need to leave room for her and her backpack. She has less stuff than any of the rest of us.

We leave a little after 10am with Andrea driving. Our first stop is the Costco at Wilsonville. This is a gas fill up. Andrea drives us until we stop for lunch. It was some fast food place along I-5 and I did not write down the place in my notes. I guess it was pretty nondescript.

David takes over driving and will drive all the way to Port Angeles. When we pass through Olympia, and it's Trader Joe’s, David expresses regret for not seeing it as he would have liked to have stopped.






The drive takes us along the waters which make the Olympic Peninsula a peninsula. From the maps, this is the
Hood Canal. Lots of little towns dot this route of Highway 101. Looks like most of them survive either on fishing or on tourism. The travel is slow along these curvy roads. But then again I am not driving so I can enjoy the scenery and sights.

I want to fill up with gas at the Costco in Sequim before we get to Port Angeles. We also want to stock up on food. So we go into Costco and wander the aisle and get food both for tonight and the next several nights to supplement our supplies.

Our AirBnB is on the east side of Port Angeles. It is about 20 minutes from this Costco. The AirBnB, called Mungal House is a few houses down from a fire station. It is pretty much how the description on AirBnB says it is. (Note: I no longer see it listed on AirBnB.) I semi-assign rooms. I know that Sherri will want a room with less light, so we get what looks like a master bedroom. David has a room which was probably part of the garage. It has a large skylight. Andrea gets the third bedroom. The main part of the house must have originally been a single bedroom place. Ours is raised up about two steps. Andrea and David are on the ground. The house has been remodeled since 2020 and should be good for our stay. Whenever I go into a place like this, I wonder, would I want to live here? What ideas can I take away and put to use. I think initially, this house is a good place to stay, but I would not be interested in living here.

Once we get settled, and all of our stuff put away, Andrea goes off for a run. She sees the sights around us. She goes and sees Ennis Creek which is close by, then fights her way down to a pathway close to the Sound, before coming back. She does report that there is a yard full of dogs just around the corner from us.

It is Kirkland lasagna and salad for dinner. After cleaning up, we play a game, before going to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment