Friday, March 22, 2024

March 22, 2024 - Go to Salem

 

Title: March 22, 2024 - Go to Salem

Hike Info : Description : Background 



Hike Info:

Type: Car


Mileage: 367 miles
Time: 9:50 with a couple of breaks


Description:

Last night was a pleasant surprise-no alarm for low blood sugar. I did wake up at 3am, but slept until 6:45 when I got up. We are scheduled to leave for Andrea and Lawrence’s at 8 this morning. I got the car mostly loaded last night, but this morning I need about ten minutes to load the last minute odds and ends.

Movies shot at Redwood
Well the odds and ends were not ready for me until after 8, so we did not start moving until 8:25. We then stopped at Dutch Brothers in Eureka for a caramel latte for Sherri. I do not think we will make it to Roseburg at 1 like Sherri told Bonnie and Dennis. We actually stop a couple of more times to take care of some personal business. And then there was a pretty good rain going on all morning.

When we got to Redwood NP/SP, we decided to go down Drury Road. But first we stopped at the Visitor Center and looked around the gift shop, without actually buying anything. We were under the impression that going down Drury was only three minutes slower than the highway. Somebody must have been speeding to make it that fast.We took it more speed limit wise and enjoyed the redwoods, ferns, road and rain.





We continued down Highway 101/1 until Crescent City, then took Highway 199 along the
Smith River. It is a beautiful ride. But with all of the windy, curvy road and the rain, there was no zooming-that is going fast, not online video. We made it into Oregon and to Cave Junction. There we stopped at Taylor Sausage. David bought a half a pound of their Trailblazer jerky. It definitely was not dry; it was tasty.

At Lilly's
At this point, David drove and I relaxed. He drove the rest of the way along 199 until we reached Grants Pass and I-5. There we turn north to Roseburg. We get into Roseburg around 2pm and head to Lilly’s Mexican Restaurant. We met Bonnie and Dennis there. Dennis was my best man and my last roommate before Sherri and I married.

It was a nice lunch/dinner. Both because the food was surprising good Mexican food and because the company was unsurprisingly warm and enjoyable. We talked about our children, travels and things in general. Then after our meal was over-David paid our bill-thank you David, we went over to the airport. Dennis is into the very final part of putting his new plane together-it has been certified, he just has a few things he wants to do before taking off. The plane looks impressive, all in a light blue. Looks like they will have many hours of enjoyment. Note: While we were on our trip, Dennis made his first flight.

Bonnie in passenger seat

After leaving them, we stop and get gas at Costco and then it is off on our final leg to Salem. I am driving this again. We arrive at 6:15. Lawrence and Andrea are at Costco when we arrive. We are able to unload, finishing up right when they arrive.

We talk and relax the rest of the night. I am reluctant to make our bed as Sherri has high standards. Andrea gives me a new phrase: weaponized incompetence. I like that. She comes up and we make the bed together. Now it is time for bed, about 10:30.

 

 

 

 

 



Background

Lilly’s Mexican Restaurant. I am surprised!We are from out of town and it has been our experience that Mexican restaurants anyplace north of Sacramento are suspect in how they make their Mexican food. At Lilly’s, the servings are hearty and the food is tasty. Close to what I would expect at my favorite Mexican restaurant at home. Those I ate with agreed. I had their enchiladas with rice and beans-it was pretty good and more than I could eat. I saved half for another day’s meal. While the eating situation is basic, when you have friends and family, that is sufficient. The staff took care of our needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment