Title: September 6, 2026 - Delilah
I slept well last night and woke up a few minutes before 0600. I tried to see if there was any lightning to report, but the Wildfire Enterprise Geospatial Portal (EGP) seems to be having an issue and I could not sign in and interrogate their lightning database.
While there was still darkness, I saw a couple of vehicles’ lights on Davis Road. One just about going over Goat Saddle; the other getting close to the Delilah Road. I do not think I would want to travel that road in the dark. But then again, at least I would know someone is coming up the road.
I dilly-dallyed around. Then I had my granola breakfast. By this time it is 0800 and I still have not made it down to the ground. So down I go. I only walked to the saddle to the south of Delilah and back. By the time I made it to the cab, it is 0850. Time to start getting ready for the new day.Up goes the flag. There! I am official now. By 0915 I have taken our weather-the RH is 47% and the temperature is 65. A lot warmer than yesterday. I go into service at 0929 with both Porterville and Sierra. Both Buck Rock and Park Ridge beat me. Then it is the normal stuff-do a scan, listen to the radio-at 1001 Porterville did their weather and staffing.
Between 0900 and 1000 I also
listened on YouTube to my church’s worship service-First
Presbyterian Church of Fresno.
The pastor is going through Revelation. I will admit, I probably did
not get the full impact as I was also listening to the radio, going
in service and doing my scans. But what I heard was good as Jeremy
talked about how Jesus rose up to bring restoration while evil can
only corrupt and brings destruction.
Hunters Practicing
As I was about to do one of my scans, a head came up the ladder-and I guess the rest of his body came up as well. Anyway, it was a bit of a surprise, but he was pretty personable and said he is from Squaw Valley, or Yokut Valley depending on whom you talk with. He has done work with the Forest Service and is interested in being a volunteer in a lookout as well. We talked for over a half an hour. He was interested in various places to hike, where the Sequoia groves were and if there are any archeological places of interest. One the first two, I was able to let him know where some of these places are. On the later, I directed him to the District’s archeologist.
During my conversation with my
long visitor, Sierra did their 1100 lookout checkin. I did respond in
a timely manner. After he left, I had my lunch, around 1230. I had
started cleaning windows when my visitor came up and continued that
after lunch. It is a very broken up after lunch rest period for me.
Reflections of buildings at Prather
On one of my afternoon scans, I heard gun shots. I was able to find the source being from around a vehicle parked on Davis Road just north of Goat Saddle. After about ten minutes they moved on, but then I heard another group of shots about 15 minutes later. It probably came from the same people, but a couple of miles further north on Davis.
While the shots are a bit unnerving, on the other side of the lookout, I followed a hawk in flight for about five minutes. So graceful, so majestic, such a wonderful creature. Unfortunately I am not very good at catching birds in flight with my phone camera-not sure the phone part made any difference.
Ar 1600, Sierra did their
afternoon lookout check in, which all the lookouts did respond-that
is always a good sign. Then it was back to the normal routine until
about 1730 when I got my dinner ready. My dinner is lasagna and
bread-pretty plain. While I am eating, I hear both Buck Rock and Park
Ridge going out of service. They are returning home so they are
leaving at the normal time. Otherwise because it is Labor Day
weekend, I will be going out of service at 1930 when the shadows make
it hard to see. Wendy text’s me and notes I am carrying the entire
Forest’ burden on my shoulders, or something like that.
Delilah's Night Sky
At 1830, we have a family Zoom which I tuned in for. About every 15 minutes I cut away and do my scans. I listen to the radio as well, but there is nothing which concerns me.
At 1920, I went out of service, saying I was staying overnight. But we are still on Zoom for another half an hour. Then I go down to close up and get a few things for tomorrow. That seems strange since I will start bringing stuff down tomorrow morning. But I figure I should have a gallon of water up in the cab.
When I get back up, it is past 2030 and I let Sherri know that I am available to talk. Which is also strange since we also talked just an hour ago on Zoom. But there are things which a husband and wife should share, times between themselves. Which we do for over an hour. It is closing in on 2200 before we hang up. I read some and then go to sleep.



No comments:
Post a Comment