Friday, June 7, 2024

June 7, 2024 - Delilah

 

Title: June 7, 2024 - Delilah

Coming to Delilah

Hike Info:
Type:Lookout
 
Description:
got up about 0515. Looked to see if there was any lightning in the area-none. Then I got my breakfast-nothing special, just granola, my usual. It is finally time to get myself ready to go up to Delilah Lookout. Last night I got most of my stuff packed and in the car. I just needed to load a few electronics and refrigerated foods into my backpacks. By 0640, I am off.

The reason why I am off so early is that there is construction on Highway 180 where there is a half an hour delay reported. But when I pass through, it does not look like CalTrans is ready to inhibit traffic, yet. I get to Delilah pretty early about 0835. Coming in from 180, there was more traffic than what I normally see along the Forest Service roads. Ahead of me was a pickup which stopped at a gate where Millwood heads east and we continue south. Then a couple motorcycles passed me. Finally another pickup also passes me-I see him stop at Sontag.

Wildflowers everywhere
I am staying at Delilah for three days. So there is a lot of stuff I am bringing up-food, clothing and stuff. But I get that all done by about 0910. I then take the weather and go in service by 0928. I thought I heard P33 on R5 a few minutes before, but did not hear who she was asking for. As soon as I go inservice, she comes back on R5 and asks if I want water. Affirm. But then Captain 32 asks the same thing. I think they must have had a discussion because of what happened later.

The rest of the morning was normal stuff. Doing my scans, listening to the radio, and reacquainting myself with lookout life. Also the cab is pretty warm. I am wondering if this is the portent of what I will be feeling throughout today? Reacquainting myself with the lookout is done in bits and pieces. Similar to reviving an old relationship. With the lookout, there is working the radio, making sure that I can navigate around without too much effort. Then there is looking out over the territory, finding the little cracks and crevices, the waterfall coming off of Patterson Bluff, and then there is that tree on Hoist Ridge just waiting for me to see it.


E32 pumping water


About 1230, I hear the sound of a big truck. It is E32 coming with my water. We were down to the last 25 gallons. The Captain for the engine comes up the stairs. I met Dalton a couple of months ago at our annual training. He and another firefighter, John, have the engine filling our tank. They add another 200 gallons. While that is going on, I take John up to the cab and show him around. One bit of excitement was that as the tank filled, the old soapy water turned into suds, floating to the east of the lookout. It was a sight to behold. When everything is filled, down they go to tend to other needs and I return to my duties.

Most of the rest of the afternoon is continuing to find the lookout rhythm. That is until I hear P33 trying to reach Buck Rock. I know that it is not staffed today, so I responded and let her know the status. She is concerned about some hoses at Buck Rock. So I asked the regular staffer about it. Later on in the afternoon, she tells me that there is an issue which E32 is dealing with and to leave the hose there. P33 is appreciative.

 

 

By this time, it is 1530 when I hear Sierra tone out a fire. Earlier in the day, Sierra had another fire, but that was north of Mariposa, way out of my visual range. But this one is close to Prather and is called the Garlock Fire. That is because it is on a road called Garlock Lane. Once I figure out where it should be I can see the smoke faintly through the haze. But this is off of our maps, so I am not sure how far out it is, but I give them an azimuth for it. Then I sit back and listen to the activity.

 

 


I do not quite do nothing, I continue my looking around for other smoke and monitor the smoke of the Garlock Fire. I hear Sierra telling the fire people to stay late. I went out of service with Porterville at 1800 but stay in service until 1900 with Sierra. During that time, I have my dinner.


 After my shift ends, I have just enough time and energy to go for a short walk around the lookout loop. The sunset is enjoyable. About 2030, Sherri and I talk for a bit until I start to drift off-it has been a long day.


 



Background
 Garlock Fire. By Sunday, it was contained at 54 acres. Once I computed it, not observed, this fire was about 26 miles away from me. There was no smoke visible from Delilah on Saturday morning.
View from Delilah: left is as I saw it, right is filtering out the haze.
 
 
Extra Photo's



Moonset over Pine Flat Reservoir-the light on the right side is from firefighters on the Garlock Fire

Sunset over Pine Flat Reservoir

Garlock Fire

Animals


Hummingbirds

Hummingbirds

Black Scarab Beetle


 
Flowers and Plants


Deer Brush

Dandelion

Butterfly Mariposa Lily

Butterfly Mariposa Lily






No comments:

Post a Comment