Tuesday, January 2, 1973

Introduction

Introduction

First, welcome to the Downtown Fresno Historic Walk with the Central Valley Hiking Meetup Group. This is the second time this walk has been offered and judging by the response, I think it may happen a few more times.

Second, my name is Gary Duran. I will be listing a whole bunch of things I am not:
  • I am not a historian
  • I am not an architect.
  • I am not an accomplished public speaker.  As a sub-text to this, I can babble on. So if I am, just raise your finger and start whirling it  to get me going.
So why I am leading this hike?
  • I am an organizer with the group and that is what I do!
  • I enjoy understanding the settings of where I am at, whether in the mountains or in the city
I hope I have set the bar low enough for this walk. There are some organizers from the meetup group here: Lee and John-your hiking buddy. Anybody else?
Also there are many people here who has not been out with the CVHMG very many times. Two or less. Welcome. This environment is not our normal walking space. But one which there has been interest in doing.


I would like to introduce Roger Taylor. He is a director of Heritage Fresno and is one of the more knowledgeable people of any building in Fresno and its history. Before his retirement, he was with the City of Fresno in the Historic Preservation Department.  I am also glad to call him friend as I have known him for 28 years

Also Steve Skibbie will be joining us. Craig Scharton, owner of Peeve's could not come today, so he asked  Steve to be with us to. Steve owns a photography studio, Grand Designs, and I will say, he takes great shots.

There are also a few people from First Presbyterian Church. Welcome to this group.


Now onward with the history.

  • Not all old is historic.
  • Fresno has a vocal historic preservation group. For one of their projects, Google historic fresno
  • As far as i can tell, around Fresno, there is three levels of recognition of historic sites:
    • National Registry of Historic Landmarks
    • California Landmarks
    • City of Fresno historic preservation
  • We will be seeing something today which propelled historic preservation in Fresno: The Old County Courthouse

 





No comments:

Post a Comment