Sunday, July 7, 2019

July 7, 2019 - Alder Falls



Title: July 7, 2019 - Alder Falls
Hike Info : Description : Background : Menu : Extra Photo's : Flowers and Plants
Hike Info:
Type: Backpacking
Trail: Alder Creek
Destination: Mosquito Creek/Alder Creek Trailhead
Distance:  4.5 miles 1
Start Time: 9:00
End Time:    11:30
Elevation Rise:  914'
From yesterday's blog-reverse for our trip[ today
Descent: 2,164‘
Maximum Elevation: 6,082'
 1I forgot my GPS. So this is based upon estimates from previous hikes and from plotting route on Google Earth. The elevation rise descent/rise seems off.
Description:
I woke up around 6am. But was too comfortable to get up until I saw Rachel wandering around the campsite. So I thought I would get up as well. By the time I got dressed Rachel was back in her tent. I love mornings alone. So I walked a little ways down the trail, just admiring the greenery. Also breathing in the smell of fresh azalea. This whole area seems like a garden of Eden. I try to bring to mind the gospel song, In the Garden:
I come to the garden alone
While the dew is still on the roses [so no roses here, but many other flowers]
And the voice I hear falling on my ear
The Son of God discloses

Breakfast is ready
Times like these make it seem like all eternity is just waiting for me to step through and enjoy the life given to me. But eternity did not beckon me this morning, so I returned back to camp. More people are up now and tents are being emptied. We have the standard fare for breakfast-oatmeal.
Steven and Andrea Streching
By the time we get all packed up, it is 9am. Of course, there is some things we need to do before we get started, such as our stretches. We start down the trail, retracing our steps from yesterday. We past through the lush forested area one last time. The azalea are still refreshing, along with the rest of the flowers. Then we salute the Falls which have provided us with so much enjoyment.


Alder Falls





Today I set the pace, and I will say that I feel like my stride is good and the cadence is comfortable. I suspect that along the railroad bed, I am going about 3mph. Of course I need to temper my feelings of I can do this by two factors: 1) this is flat and 2) my pack is light by my standards-probably around 25lbs. Still I am glad to be able to stretch out my legs.











Trail by the Falls
Then we hit the end of the railroad bed-actually only the part which the trail is on-the bed goes into some pretty wicked manzanita and buck brush for the part I have seen. It is mostly downhill from here. But even though it is morning, it is getting hot and we have more exposure. But it is down, for the most part. But the part going up, I have to stop for a few minutes to rest under the guise of waiting for Sherri. Still it is a retracing yesterday’s steps until we hit the car.



Back at the car
Everything is in its place there. So we pack up and leave pretty quickly. Lawrence and the two Andrea’s will be going directly back to the Bay Area, with a stop for food with us in Oakhurst. At Wawona we stop to take care of the necessities of life, and to call Southgate Brewery to inquire about wait times. They said no problem. So down we go-should only be a 45 minute drive from here, or less. Should be, but at Tenaya Lodge, a whole herd of cattle was crossing Highway 41*. That slowed us down a bit, by the tune of a half an hour or more. By the time we get to Oakhurst, the Brewery’s parking lot is full and there is an hour wait for a table. So we go over to Plazuelas Mexican Restaurant. But it is closed on Sunday. But a Me-n-Ed’s right beside it is open. So pizza it is. We are either really hungry or just in the mood for pizza, but it tasted real good. We depart from there, with our car heading back to Fresno


Background
*Ironically, there is a melodrama theater in Oakhurst, the Golden Chain Theater. What is the production going on at this time? Here Comes the Cows


Menu
 Breakfast Lunch Dinner Snacks
Oatmeal and add-ins, such as dried peaches, strawberries, nuts, granola. Tang.
pizza at Me-n-Ed’s in Oakhurst
Home Clif Bar, GORP, Propel, CytoMax, Scratch, Coffee Candy, Jelly Belly



Extra Photo's
Can we go without our power fix?
Rocks across from the falls

Alder Falls in the morning

Andrea and Lawrence trying to avoid the mud

 
Flowers and Plants
Azalea

Columbine

A berry of some type

Maybe a Branching Phaelia????

Maybe a Timberline Phacelia???




No comments:

Post a Comment