Saturday, October 12, 2019

October 12, 2019 - Delilah Lookout



Title: October 12, 2019 - Delilah Lookout
Hike Info : Description  : Menu : Extra Photo's : Animals : Flowers and Plants

Trail head: Delilah Lookout
Hike Info:
Type:Lookout
Description:


Delilah at Sunrise
The light is just starting to creep through the windows. I am wondering if this is enough to get up for or even wake up to. Reading is such a good option, particularly when your sleeping bag is warm and the air seems cooler than I want to get up to. But around 0630, some natural urges take over. I layer myself with two long sleeve shirts and a lookout T-Shirt. Then upon considering things, I also put on my jacket before going down to the outhouse.
View from the outhouse
Later on I reflect that a trip like this, that is down to the outhouse, one must plan on the journey. You see, going to do one’s business at Delilah is not just stepping out of your bedroom onto a cold bathroom floor. No, it is a full blown process. First of all, you live in a glass house when you are up there-fortunately, nobody can see in. Still, you have to go down 67’, 80 steps on the outside of the lookout. Like this morning, the railing is cold and there is a nice bit of wind. By the time you get down to the outhouse, you are thankful to have made it in time. But there is a reward. From the outhouse, there is a magnificent display of autumn leaves right outside of the door. What a reward.

I then go on a short walk, which was almost immediately interrupted by three deer staring at me. So I stared at them right back. Eventually, they got either tired of my staring, or got used to me. They trotted off down the hill, away from me after a bit. So I continued my morning walk.

Dinner time


When I got back up in the tower, Sherri was up and going. I started our oatmeal breakfast up. We then got ready for the coming day-just the usual. So when 0930 hit, we went in service. When I went into service, I forgot to report that we have another morning of low RH. So another radio transmission to report that. After the weather and staffing is broadcast, I call the duty officer to report on the status of our water. Sounds like we may get another load tomorrow or Monday.
Except for a couple vehicles circling the lookout, we don’t get any other action today. We do keep looking at the burn scar of the Ridge Fire, but nothing to report there.



Moon over Park Ridge
Because it is quiet and dark will come soon after we go out of service, Sherri fixes dinner a bit early. We eat and take a final scan. 1800 comes and we go out of service. Then we take a short walk while it is still light enough. Sunset is pretty nice, along with a full moon. When we get back to the tower, it is about to become dark, so we get ready for the night. Not much of a day to report-that is a good thing.



Menu

Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner
Snacks
Oatmeal and add-ins, such as dried peaches, strawberries, nuts, granola. Tang.
Sandwich: Peanut Butter, Nutella
gnocchi, bread, lettuce, and water
string cheese and salted almonds
Extra Photo's
Sunrise in Autumn

Delilah from the road in
Ridge Fire burn scar

Sunset sky

Animals




 
Flowers and Plants

Common Media



No comments:

Post a Comment