Sunday, November 22, 2020

November 22, 2020 - Pinnacles

 


Title: November 22, 2020 - Pinnacles
Hike Info : Description
    
Hike Info:
Type: Car

Description:

I woke up about my usual time. Went for a short walk and then had breakfast. I got things packed, but it is unknown at this point if one or two of us are going from Fresno. Sherri hurt her ankle Friday and is unsure if she should go. She will have a video conference with a doctor in a couple of hours.

In the meantime, we watch church from First Presbyterian on YouTube. Jeremy has gotten a new dimension to him since the beginning of Summer. After church, I shower and get the last of the preparations ready to go to the Pinnacles.

The doctor is a little early, which is good. He thinks it is a sprain. He suggests she be off of her feet for a couple of days. I ask about camping. He does not think this is a good idea. So this takes care of the question of how many people are going.

I get prepared, loading the truck with equipment. Sherri gets the food prepared. By the time all of this happens, it is 1:15 before I am ready to leave. I said my goodbyes to Sherri and Steven and then took off. Feels rather funny not having Sherri along with me.

I get to the Pinnacles around 4:00pm. The first stop is at the store/park visitor center. A pretty good line. But talking to a docent, she says that since I already know my campsite number no need to register. So I go directly to it, 129, a group campsite.

It is amazing about how much stuff I brought just for myself, and food for Andrea. Definitely more stuff than I take to lookout for four days. I was able to unload and get the dining area pretty much set up before Andrea came. We set up our separate tents and put in our sleeping arrangements. Because we are from separate households, we are sleeping separately-I am not sure if we would have slept in the same tent anyway.

It is starting to get dark, so we break open the ice chest-which in this case is a warming area-and out comes the beerocks which Sherri heated up. Tasted pretty good, still nice and warm.

We got out the heaters Sherri bought. The one we tried out before worked pretty well.. There is a cool breeze which blows the heat more Andrea’s way than mine. Still I feel a little bit of it. Andrea has some hot tea, I have some hot chocolate. The one right out of the box, only the pilot light works, not the heater. Will try again tomorrow night.

After talking a bit, we decide it is getting too cold to stay out, so off to our sleeping areas. So good to be with Andrea, relaxing with her. Even inside the tent it is cold. I quickly get into my bag, after putting in a liner. It was still cold enough I was not holding my iPad steady enough to read it. So after trying for a little while, I succumb both to failure and sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment