Sunday, August 22, 2021

August 22, 2021 - Lewis Creek


Title: August 22, 2021 - Lewis Creek
Hike Info : DescriptionExtra Photo'sFlowers and Plants
Hike Info:
Type: Hiking
Trail: Lewis Creek Trail
Destination: Red Rock Falls
Distance:  6.3  miles 1 
Elevation Rise:  1,577'
Descent: 1,588‘
Maximum Elevation: 4,213'
 1Something went wrong with the GPS where it only recorded part of the data, so the track really was worthless.

Description:

Last night Steven asked about hiking the Lewis Creek Trail. Actually he said he was going to hike it and did either Sherri or myself want to come along. It was much too early for Sherri-Steven wants to leave around 7am. But it is of interest to me. But the question is how much smoke is there? When I went to bed last night, there were several sensors registering unhealthy air.

I got up at my normal 6am time. No lightning to report. Also all sensors which I care about record moderate air quality. Looks like it is a go. Steven (and Korra) come out around 7am. I ask, are we good to go? Yep. We leave by 7:30, taking Sherri’s Highlander. I drive up and we get to the parking area for the Cedar Valley area by a little after 8:30. We talked a bit on the drive up, about how I am aging-so far there is no rumblings of me losing it, yet!

We have been on this trail many a-time. I tell Steven that the first time was after dropping him and Rachel off at Calvin Crest

New Bridge Across Lewis Creek
many years ago, after we read a Fresno Bee article on it. It has been a frequent trail to hike, even though the last couple of years the lots have been pretty full and we have stayed away both because we usually are not interested in crowded trails and now not coming in contact with anyone who potentially may have COVID. (Turns out it may be five years since I walked this trail)

But where we parked only had two other cars. Sounds like Steven’s timing is good. One of the cars is also starting about the same time as us-two women and a child, plus one on the back. The lower part of the trail is a bit warm-it will be hotter this afternoon. It starts with a dirt road-closed to traffic. Steven needs to take care of some of Korra’s leavings, so I take her leash. The dirt road is about 200 yards long, then changes into a single track Eventually it dips down to the creek, before steeply climbing back out.


Korra posing at Red Rock Falls


I am still leading Korra along and feel like I am doing OK. Korra and Steven may be thinking that I am holding them back a bit, but I am feeling comfortable. We come to some obstacles in the trail-logs having to go around or under and give Korra back to Steven-he will do much better than I. I am having to pick and choose rather than Korra and Steven’s bounding along. Even the ladies pass me up here. A short way beyond this, with some uphill, we come to
Corlieu Falls.

I am surprised. I am thinking these falls might be just a trickle. While not Spring runoff volume, it is not dry. In fact, it is down right pretty, just the right amount of water surrounded by geen and shadow. By peeking under the trees, I see the complete set of falls.

I ask Steven how far he was thinking of going: Red Rock Falls, if I am OK going that far. Sounds like either a son being concerned about his aging father or fighting words. Either way, I said that I would go on. I did know that the hardest climb was coming up, about 300-400’ in a third of a mile. I do make it up; Korra and Steven are waiting for me.

Steven and Korra on path back

Actually they are talking with some people who are practicing a specialized version of Slack Lining called Highlining. They have stretched a slackline across the top of Corlieu Falls. Right now they are taking a break. We talked with them for about 15 minutes. Pretty friendly. I think they were interested that an old guy was out hiking. They asked a standard question: what hike do I consider the best. Of course the proper answer is the one I am on now. And then the longest hike? The JMT. Then they asked the heartwarming question of Steven: Don’t you worry about him being on the trail? No, because he knows more than Steven does. Steven gains back points.

And now to continue our walk. The forest service or a group has been doing some work. There is a nice new spanking bridge across the creek. Much less “interesting” getting across the creek now, but way better. We now travel on the east side of Lewis Creek. There are familiar steps to the foundation of an old building. Maybe some sort of pump house? Or maybe Corlieu’s house. Then it is more walking up to Red Rock Falls. This is close to two miles from the bridge.

Red Rock Falls is popular today. Not standing room only, just several groups of people. Not your typical quiet summer retreat. Still everyone manages to keep pretty separate from each other. We stuck around for about 15-20 minutes before I tell Steven I would start in because I knew Korra and Steven would quickly catch up with me.

Slack Liner above Corlieu Falls
As I was leaving, two ladies came down the trail and said “horrible.” Then they looked at me and realized that I could think I was the object of their scorn-they really meant the tash people left behind. But I played along and said, yes I am horrible. In a few minutes they caught up with me and we exchanged additional greetings, of a kinder variety. Friendly chatter as Steven and Korra passed us and then they dropped back. This exchange was about ten minutes.



Rest of the way down to Corlieu Falls was uneventful. At the falls, the highliners were still there. One was trying it out. He was having troubles getting mounted, but the other highliners were encouraging him. When he came in, another showed us how it was down. Enjoyable watching them.

After watching them for half an hour, we leave, even though there is more to the show but it is getting a bit warm. So down we go. Glad it is mostly downhill. I am not the fastest pony coming down this path. Even a grandfather, his daughter and granddaughter. Fun listening to the granddaughter helping her grandfather. Eventually they passed me up, but not far from the parking area.

Steven and Korra are waiting for me-they have no choice as I have the keys to the car. It feels warm at the car, but the temperature is not that much-mid-to high eighties. Steven drives us back home after stopping at Carl’s Jr for lunch. A good day-glad Steven took us out on this.

 

Extra Photo's



Slack Liner getting ready to balance above Corlieu Falls

Part of Red Rock Falls

 
Flowers and Plants

Twin Arnica

Alpine Aster???



No comments:

Post a Comment