Friday, October 7, 2022

October 7, 2022 - Park Ridge Lookout

 


Title: October 7, 2022 - Park Ridge Lookout
Hike Info : Description 
Hike Info:
Type:Lookout


Description:

This weekend will be my last weekend at Park Ridge this season, I may be able to do one more time at Delilah due to working on transforming our front yard.

I got up 0600 and did my lightning report. None expected and none reported. It has been that way for three weeks no. I go out and work on putting in a box over the pressure regulators for the front yard. Then go in and eat breakfast. Then work in the yard for a few more minutes before signing onto our OSHER Book Club. We discuss the book The Indifferent Stars Above. It is about the Donner Party. One notable item was that a person had a T-shirt on it which said Punctuation Counts: “Let’s eat, kids” is different than “Lets eat kids.” I like it.

Sherri is getting ready and I put together the food. Evidently too many cooks do spoil the broth as a couple of things get put into the wrong bag. I then rested for 45 minutes before we had a hamburger lunch. Steven is out, so we do not have our meal with him. At 1320 we are ready to go to Park Ridge. It is an uneventful drive. We get waved through due to our Buck Rock plaque on the side of the car.

At 1455 we pulled up to the Lookout and went in-service at 1505. We have limited visibility of about 4 miles. I am feeling a bit tired and rested for a few minutes while Sherri does the scans. Buck Rock calls my phone, but I have the sound off, so I do not notice. Usually at 1600 Porterville does the weather and indices. But not today. I wonder what’s up with that.



And then I noticed that
Buck Rock had phoned me. So I called him back. I think that Buck Rock is a bit lonely. He notes it has been quiet there. Only a few visitors. So we talked for a few minutes before going on with our work.

The rest of the afternoon is filled with normal activities, such as scanning and getting familiar with the territory. By 1800 we are ready to go out of service.

And now it is time to relax and enjoy our time in the lookout. We have our lunch and enjoy our time up in the tower. The days are shorter, so darkness comes earlier. After my new found success of a couple of weeks, I am trying my hand again at taking pictures of dark skies. But now it becomes a bit hard with a near full moon. Still it washes the landscape with light, making rocks looking almost ghostly.

Sherri has blown up my MondoKing mattress. I wonder if it will stay up. So far it looks good. By 2130 I am in my bag. But it takes me a while to go to sleep at 2240.


No comments:

Post a Comment