Thursday, October 27, 2022

October 27, 2022 - Delilah Lookout

 Title: October 27, 2022 - Delilah Lookout

Hike Info:
Type: Lookout

Description:

This might be my last time at a lookout this season. Between the season coming to a close and me working in the front yard, I may not get a chance to be up here again this season. There are two ways to approach this:

  • Make the most of it, or
  • Just enjoy the time I have and let things be how I normally go.
    No Smoke in the Blue Canyon area

I pretty much choose the latter. As it turns out, it is pretty quiet, with nothing “special”, no mountaintop revelations. Just being up here is special. In the Background, I am entering my personal log. So the verbiage will be minimal.

Before and After CLearing on Pine Ridge

 

 One thing which I did notice coming into Delilah

Evening
is that there was clearing work being done. Many of the dead trees have been removed, along with the surrounding shrubbery. While not garden-like, there is a sense of orderliness and a glimpse of underlying potential for beauty. Of course then, there are the stacks of logs to remind me of the destruction of both the bark beetle and the Rough Fire.






The most excitement happens at 0930 when I go in service. Sierra asks me to look over in the
Blue Canyon area. Civil aviation thinks a plane spotted a smoke in the area. I do not see anything, but Sacata Ridge would hide a small smoke. I report out that there was no smoke visible. Buck Rock had also called me about this

 

 .

Moon over Fresno

A patrol says that there is a smoke in the Redwood Canyon area. Buck Rock had previously reported that. Also I think Ash Mountain has gotten tired of being alerted to it.

Later on I heard a discussion of the Kaweah Fire in the Jennie Lake area. I chime in that there had been six strikes at Jennie Lake two weeks ago. What we are hearing is that it is an escaped campfire.

 

  

What is this smudge

By 1700 I had gone out of service with both Sierra and Porterville. There is still about an hour of sunlight, so I go for a short walk. I have three purposes. First, just to stretch my legs. Second, look over a bit of the area where trees and brush have been cleared. And lastly, see if there are a few rounds which may serve as seats in our front yard. I think I was successful on all three. Plus, there were some good Fall colors and fading light of day pictures I took.

When I get back in the cab, I have my dinner of Mac & Cheese plus chicken noodle soup. Satisfying. I get cleaned up and ready for bed. By this time, the sun has gone down and there is a sliver of moon showing above Fresno. I start taking pictures. of this and the night sky. Some of them actually came out. There is what looks like a smudge of a star. Even when I move the camera. I wonder what that is? At 2015 I talked with Sherri for a while. Then read and then go to sleep.


 


Background
 

Activity

Time

From

To

Digest


530



Got up and got ready. Breakfast


545



Lightning report-no lightning


702



Left home


703



Left Fresno


839



Got to Delilah


840



My Emergency water had tipped over. Almost no emergency water left. I still have plenty for the two days


845



I took the first load up stairs.


854



I discovered forgot cheese and salami in refrig at home. Still have plenty to eat, just different than I planned. I had just looked at my list and that was the last thing to pack


856



Delilah has a pully system to bring up supplies. The pully lines are tangled up. Need to straighten out.


900



Second trip down and picked up sleeping bag and more water in day pack


917



Took the weather for Delilah


921



Sigh, if this keeps up, it will be a long 36 hours at Delilah. I forgot to hook in a bag to the pulley system. I need to go down to retrieve it. Third trip down to get shopping bag and fill up with water


926

BR

Gary

Missed call from Buck Rock


931

Del

PTV

In Service


931

Del

SNF

In Service


932

SNF

Del

Sierra asks if there is any smoke from Blue Canyon? I had not seen any. I will check.


934

331

SNF

No smoke from Blue Canyon. Found a smoke at Bretz Mill Camp within a fire ring


938

SNF

BC42

Copied direct from 331


940

Del

SNF

Negative smoke in Blue Canyon area


943



Scan


945



I am feeling a bit chaotic. Between forgetting stuff and needing to report on Blue Canyon. But nothing beyond being able to handle. Just need to get into the rhythm of being up in Delilah after close to two months away. Last time I was here, it was over 100 degrees in the cab. When I came in this morning, it was 46.

Phone

957

Del

BR

Returning call. Just wanted to alert me to Blue Canyon. BC42 called her earlier. FAA report of smoke in area


1005


PTV

Weather report and Staffing-Staffing unintelligible

R5

1015

BR

Del

Did not hear night temps for above 6000’.


1018

AA15

SNF

Fly over on Blue Canyon


1032



Scan


1048



Scan


1100

SNF


Lookout checking


1100

SNF


Lookout check-in


1105



Scan


1108

SNF

AA15

No smoke seen in Blue Canyon area


1112



Scan


1115



Starting to feel like I am getting into a proper rhythm.


1130



Scan


1135



Cleaned solar panels


1147



Scan


1148

E32

Ptv

In Qtrs at Pinehurst


1151

P33

PTV

In Service to Big Meadows


1152



Scan


1219



Scan


1224



Lunch


1235

P33

BR

Smoke near Big Baldy/Redwood Canyon. BR says it has been there all morning. She has let Ash Mountain and Div 3 know. Also she has 17% RH.

R5

1255

P33

BR

Kaweah Fire at JennieLake. P33 requested photographs.


1258



Scan

R5

1303

Del

BR

Del looked into lightning. Lightning strikes close to Jennie Lake on 10/10. But this fire is due to an escaped campfire.


1311



Took Delilah’s Weather


1338



Scan


1350



Studying the area from my spreadsheet


1401



Scan


1403



Rest


1428



Scan


1450



Studying the area from my spreadsheet


1456



Scan


1517

BR

PTV

Out of Service


1518



Did not hear BR go out of service with SNF. Found the battery was dead. Changed out battery


1521



Scan


1545



Scan


1553

P33

PTV

Returning to quarters


1600

SNF


Lookout check


1602

PTV


Indices and Weather


1625



Scan


1634

P33

PTV

In Quarters


1645



Scan


1658

SNF


Evening Status Check-Delilah Out of service


1700

DEL

PTV

Out of service


1715



Went down, for a walk, about 45 minutes. Found a couple of rounds


1815



Dinner


1850



Took pictures of night sky


1915



Laid down


2010



Talked with Sherri


2100



Call ended. Read and went to sleep, eventually.


 
Extra Photo's

Stars above Delilah

Milky Way and not the candy bar

Delilah

Sunlight through the trees

Pine Flat-very low

Sunlight catches a few trees

Evening and Fall Colors

Fall colors from the cat walk


No comments:

Post a Comment