Hike Info : Description
I woke up and it was still pretty dark with only a sliver of light above the tops of the mountains in the east. It is a 0520. But even though I am awake, I do not get up. I just look out the windows. And what do I see? To the west, I see bats swarming outside of the windows. I am glad I closed that window. To the east, there are also bats, but not nearly as many. Once they calmed down, I got up. I had checked to see if there had been lightning in the area and there was none
My feet touched the floor around 6:20. I read a bit and then have my breakfast. Then I get up-it was warm yesterday and I am a bit smelly. To live with myself, I wash up, lookout style, a spit bath. By the time this is done, I go down the stairs and get some water for the day. I had time to go for a short walk before heading back up.![]() |
| Pine Ridge |
The mornings at Delilah are warm. Today it is hot. Since nobody is around, I take off my shirt and enjoy a bit of cooling on my skin. I still sweat though.
Sometimes on the radio, you
hear something which is out of place from reporting the normal patrol
location changes. On R5, our chatty channel, I hear what sounds like
a researcher and her assistant. Not sure what they are looking for.
But apparently she spooked some cattle and thought she was going to
be trampled. It can be a bit intimidating being around those big
animals. From the radio, it does not sound like her partner is
bothered.
Lookout!
![]() |
| PG&E Tower |
At 1100, I responded to the Sierra Lookout Check-in. Then it continues on the normal day. A feature of Delilah is that after 1100, a breeze comes up and cools down the lookout. I put back on my shirt.
I have my lunch. After that, I did the weather. If I am at home, I would have an hour rest period. But up here, I just lay down, turn up the radio and set a 15 minute timer for my two short times of relaxation. Then it is back to full time looking for smoke.
It is a normal afternoon. The
1600 indices and weather from Porterville is noted. I responded to
Sierra’s afternoon lookout check in. About 1730 I had a dinner of
quesadillas. Then continue looking for smoke, at least on the Sequoia
side. On Sierra, I go out of service at 1800. Because of the heat,
we are on extended hours so I go until the shadows make finding
anything feasible. At 2000, I went out of service with Porterville.
Goat Saddle
Then it is time to get the cab ready for bedtime. I go down to the ground to take a few things I will not need tomorrow to the car and bring up some more water. At 2030, Sherri and I talk about the events of the day. By the time 2130 hits, I am ready to turn in. After reading, I close by eyes about 2215







No comments:
Post a Comment