Saturday, August 1, 2020

August 1, 2020 - Delilah Lookout


Title: August 1, 2020 - Delilah Lookout
Hike Info : DescriptionExtra Photo's : Animals

Trail head: Delilah Lookout
Hike Info:
Type: Lookout Description:

We are scheduled for three days at Delilah Lookout: Saturday through Monday. There may be a possible alteration of schedule depending on if Tuesday can be filled or how it is filled. Also Sherri bruised part of herself and did not feel up to coming up. So I will be a bachelor up there. Wonder how much trouble I can get into just being up there by myself?

I get up at 0545 and looked to see if there was any lightning yesterday-no. After getting packed up, I leave at 0710. Not much to write about on the trip up. There was a line of cars I got behind, but they were moving good enough. When I hit Delilah Road, I lose them. After going  past Sequoia Highlands Resort, I come across three adult bovine, two calves and what looks like a yearling. Evidently one of the momma’s does not like the yearling as she puts on a roller derby move and knocks him about four feet off the road. They disappear off the road and I make it to Delilah by 0900. But not before stopping by a truck parked on the side of the road to make sure he was OK.

Normally getting to Delilah at 0900 is enough to get things situated. I think I am getting older, or at least I am moving slower. I get the keys and get my backpack on. I run my Clorox laced towels along the rails up to the top and get the cab aired out. This is just the start of getting ready. Surfaces got sprayed with IPA and wiped off. Other things I will handle gets wiped off with a sanitizing wipe. I then went down for a second load. By the time I got everything done, I went inservice by 0938, a few minutes late.

Yesterday, Judy and I had a conversation about conditions at Delilah. There were a couple of things which were more noteworthy. First, we are used to seeing some wildlife around here. Deer, hummingbirds, squirrels, butterflies and hawks are common occurrences. Snakes, lizards and eagles have been seen. A couple of years ago, a mountain lion was spotted about a mile away. But this week a bear was spotted twice. I knew they should be around here, but have not seen them or their tracks. Hope I get to see one as well. In the meantime, the food needs to be taken out of the truck.


The other thing is that our handheld radio is having issues talking to Sierra National Forest through our normal repeater. We can hear them, but we cannot transmit. One of the ways to change which repeater we hit. Another way is to reset the repeater. And actually there is a third way and that is to use our base radio. While I am downstairs, I do reset the repeater and am able to go in service with Sierra without doing any other changes. But this will be something which will keep me occupied throughout my stay.

By now, the time is 1000 and Porterville’s weather and staffing is broadcast. I am ready to do my first scan-this is late. Of course, as a lookout, I do continually eyeball the terrain. But with a scan, it is done systematically. Normally I have done it right before going into service. I also take the weather which also should have been done before going in-service. If my sweat is any indication, it is hot and muggy. But it is only 76 degrees. I talked with Judy, thanking her for a note she left, confirming what I was seeing and hearing with what we talked about yesterday. I think I like following her-she leaves such uplifting notes.

And now it is back to building a routine of scan and stuff until 1100. At 1100 Sierra does the lookout check in. I could not respond on the handheld, so I used the base radio. This could work out. There was a bit of fumbling, but I got in my “Delilah” before they moved on to the next lookout.

I talked with Greg a bit about various things. He is just checking in to make sure that things are OK. We talk a bit about about the radio situation, but I did not raise any red flags and he was satisfied that I would be able to take care of things. So what do we talk about? Hiking, of course. He had gone down into Kings Canyon and down the River Trail. This is something I went on once about five years ago. We also talked about a trail from Bubbs Creek to Roads End on the south side of the Kings.

Todd Fire-but no smoke

Celeste on the job, looking for smoke
Life goes on until about 1344 when Patrol 31 calls Porterville and says that a fire which had been put out has been reported reignited. It is about 8 miles to my southeast. If there is smoke I may be able to see it. But having my binoculars on it, I do not see any. Even Celeste did not see anything. So we tell Porterville this. Patrol 31 finds it and it is a 5’x5’ area, smoldering remains from the Todd Fire a few days ago. It is a CalFire incident, but Sequoia works on it until they arrive.

Flag at night lite up


That there folks was pretty much the highlight of the day. I did my scans and listened to the radio. I will admit to not being terribly energetic. If I was, this would have been a good time to continue studying up on the points around Delilah. Hopefully tomorrow, with a good rest, I can do that and wash the windows, and take an inventory and do the other small things.

At 1800 went out of service and just relaxed for a few minutes. Tried to get a hold of Sherri. I think it was much cooler up here than in Fresno, so I was going to suggest she comes up. I think it would be more comfortable. But she does not pick up the phone. I decided to go down for a walk. Just went as far as the saddle and then came back up. Brought up the final load of water and my sleeping bag. Then locked up the place. Sherri called right when I put my beerock in the oven. So we talked while I ate. Maybe she will come up tomorrow. Got to bed about 2130.






Extra Photo's



Osborne Fire Finder, taking a rest after a good day
Setting Sun

On July 11, 2020, we went on an adventure to find this tree

Each morning I get a report on lightning in our area. Nice to see it being used


Animals

Our Delilah Deer

What Made this Track. It went all the way across the road

No comments:

Post a Comment