Sunday, August 2, 2020

August 2, 2020 - Delilah Lookout


Title: August 2, 2020 - Delilah Lookout
Hike Info : DescriptionExtra Photo's : Animals : Flowers and Plants


Trail head:   Delilah Lookout
Hike Info:

Pine Ridge
Type: Lookout
Description:

Mornings can be wonderful before Delilah goes into service. Such as looking out over the hills to the west of us. The morning light showing on the golden hills adding color upon color. Or taking the morning weather readings and looking down on a deer taking a drink of water from our drain. Then looking around, knowing it is under observation, but cannot find me 72’ above her.

I woke up at 0600 and looked at the lightning report. As expected, no strikes to report on. I go down and take a morning walk. I go about ¾ of a mile down our road, getting a decent climb in. Mostly looking at tracks along the way. When I get back, it is a granola breakfast with real milk-Judy left a quart for me, along with some orange juice. Bless that girl.

I clean up a bit-not much as it is only me. Then go down stairs to take inventory of what is in our shed. Then back up stairs after paying a visit to the smallest building out here. I get myself locked in for the day.

Most of the time, I enjoy having visitors in the lookout-not that Delilah gets many. But with the COVID-19 virus still on the loose, no visitors are allowed-that is the reason why I get myself locked in. But there is a certain amount of freedom knowing that you will not be seeing anybody today. You can dress up, or down, to your heart's content. In the mornings the cab of Delilah is warm-the sun beats down on it and there is no protection. So I am dressing down.

Almost Full Moon

But neither Sierra nor Porterville’s dispatches seem to either notice or care when I go in-service at 0929. My scans have started. Porterville does the weather and staffing. I settle down into the lookout routine. I responded to Sierra’s Lookout check in. Sherri and I talk a bit about if she would be coming up today-no, maybe tomorrow. Shortly afterwards Buck Rock comes on and radios if we are still having issues with the handheld radio. She will call back in a little while,

When we do talk, it is a possible remedy for the handheld issue. It involves going down into the electronics shed and pulling out a repeater controller and putting back in. This will reset it. I should be able to do this. After all that is pretty much what we did with those servers at FUSD. But this is where my lack of hardware abilities shines. In order to do this, I need to loosen/remove four screws. Sounds easy doesn’t it? The screws are pretty tight. I think I will strip the head if I try too much more. So back up to the cab to get some WD-40 and let it sit there until after I go out of service.

On our last time at Delilah, there was a possibility of evacuation. If that did not work out, we would have sheltered in the electronics shed-very sturdy and made of metal. The one question which came up today, would a radio do any good in there? We may have an answer-no. Tried to do a radio check and did not get any response. Will need to try it out when everything is working.

Pine Ridge At Dusk

The rest of the afternoon is pretty mundane. Doing scans and finishing washing windows. Well not quite finished the windows. That is a tomorrow project.

1800 comes along and I go out of service. Then downstairs to the electronics shed and see if I can do something with the screws. Still will not budge. So will give it up for tonight (See Tuesday’s blog for the non-exciting conclusion). On to the outhouse and then back to Delilah’s cab, where a beerock is waiting for me. Also I got on our family’s Zoom via telephone. Fun time hearing their voices. Also get to enjoy the sunset before the stars and moon comes out. Then I will go to sleep.


Extra Photo's



Last Light over Pine Flat Lake
Morning View from the Outhouse

Close to Full Moon over McKenzie




Animals

Delilah Deer

Who made these tracks?


 

Flowers and Plants




Dandelions
Common Madea in the morning



No comments:

Post a Comment