Thursday, October 21, 2021

October 21, 2021 - Yosemite with the Rose’s

 


Title: October 21, 2021 - Yosemite with the Rose’s
Hike Info : Description : BackgroundExtra Photo's :



Trail head: Fresno 

Hike Info:

Type: Car



Trail head: Glacier Point Road
Hike Info:

Type: Hiking

Trail: Old parking road

Destination: Sentinel Dome

Distance:  1.2 miles 1

Elevation Rise: 388’

Maximum Elevation: 8,122'



 1No GPS on hike. Information from plotted course on Google Earth 
Enjoying the view from Washburn Point
 Description:

Last week Bonnie asked about going to Yosemite her grand kids and daughter. Bonnie was the photographer at our wedding a few years back (read: 45 years). Her husband was my best man, so we have had a long family connection. Anyway, Sherri and I finagled an invite to go to Yosemite with them. So today I play tour guide.

I got up around 6:45 and made breakfast-something simple: bacon and french toast. By the time, Bonnie, her daughter Moriah, her three grandchildren, Noah, Leah and Delilah, along with Sherri and I get feed and packed up, it was 9:45 when we left. My guess is that it will be a long day and we will run into darkness before leaving Yosemite.


Sherri climbing Sentinel Dome



We stopped in Oakhurst to pick up sandwiches at Subway, then went on. Not much of a line into the park. Our next stop was the bathrooms at
Chinquapin. Like in the meaning of Wawona, “It is a good place to stop.”

The original plan was to go to the Valley and explore. I had asked if they were interested in going to Glacier Point-which will take up at least half of the afternoon-turned out it would take up more. After some hemming and hawing, everybody was in favor of seeing the Valley from on top first, then going down to the Valley.

The drive along Glacier Point Road is familiar to us, but even Sherri and I always get impressed with how the Clark Range pops up as we descend to Bridalveil Creek. We pass by the full parking lot for Sentinel Dome. I take mental note of this. Then it is the descent down to Glacier Point. But before we get there, I stop at Washburn Point. To me this view gives the feeling of the backcountry going on forever-a favorite of mine, if you cannot tell. For a first view, our friends are shocked with the beauty of what they are seeing. We stayed there for a while.

Jeffery Pine and El Capitan from Sentinel Dome

Now on to Glacier Point and lunch. We walk out to the point, look around. It is a different view, a view which allows us to look down into the Valley. Camp Curry plainly stands out with its white tents. I point out the Ahwahnee. Sherri has her pattern, which looks like a Christmas decoration in Ahwahnee Meadow-we still cannot figure out what is going on there. After getting our fill of scenic wonder, time to have lunch. On the handicap walkway is a nice rock border which we procure for our eating pleasure.

After lunch, we head back to the car. I had talked about Sentinel Dome as a possible hike. Everybody wants to do it. But the parking area was filled up when we came in. We will see if an alternative entrance is available. It is. Fifty years ago, there was a road to a parking area at the base of Sentinel Dome. Now it is a gated service road. But we can still walk it. Lots of parking here, plus, it is a shorter walk than the regular parking area..

Bridalveil Falls from Tunnel View

We cross over the Glacier Point Road and start walking the service road. I start with the lead, but Leah is like out Korra-Steven’s dog-and wants to be in front. Then Moriah also walks ahead of the slowing old man.There is a place where the trail meets with our road. There we are asked which way back to their car, After understanding where they are parked, we direct them on the proper way. We came to a big puddle in the road. Your intrepid explorer spots a way around it. And then the skies wets us. But only for about ten minutes and not badly.

Before the assault of Sentinel Dome, I go over what we are going to do if lightning appears. More of a precaution than an expectation. Then up we go. The climb is not strenuous because it is not long and the Dome is well traveled. The reaction I got was it was well worth the climb and the time. Seeing 360 degrees and Yosemite from the top ;looking down is something most tourists do not do. Even for someone like me, it is always a thrill to be there. The kids are fascinated with all they can see. We even take pictures with the old Jeffery Pine.

Oldside the Ahwahnee
And then it is time to go down. The kids show no fear and go down to the base of the dome in a safe, but quick manner. I am not as nimble. But I do pick my way down the dome with Bonnie and Sherri following. At one point, I hear someone slipping and turn to check on our group-not us. But then I slip, but catch myself with my left hand, while my rear gently makes contact with the granite. A few minutes later we reach the base, and start back on the road to our car. My left little finger starts to ache and I wonder about it.

 

We head back down Glacier Point Road, stopping briefly at the outhouse at the Sentinel Dome parking are. Then off to the Valley. We play the “hold your breath in the tunnel” game. Of course Wawona Tunnel is a 1 mile line, going at 35mph-well, you can figure out if this is possible-in my younger days it was. We stop at Tunnel View for the signature view of the Valley. It gets the appropriate Oh Wow’s!

 

Glow off of Sentinel Rock




There is still time to take a lap around the Valley floor in the fading light. The broadleaf trees form a yellow and green canopy over the road, giving the feeling of being within a kaleidoscope. I keep one eye on the road and one on the display around us. Also I do my tour guide imitation. I am so glad I live so close to this splendor. There was to be a prescribed burn starting today along Southside Drive, but I do not see evidence that it started. 

 

We continue on our drive, a slow drive as I am taking my time. Someone talks about Curry Village, so we go by there just to take a look, not stopping. Just enough to say we have been there. We now pass Ahwahnee Meadow and see two things. First the diggings we observed from Glacier Point. The second is the flashing lights of law enforcement as well as a helicopter. There must have been a SAR action today.

View of the Valley from Valley View

 

 

I decided that with the light ending in the Valley, the Ahwahnee would be a good place to visit. What’s more, they have nice bathrooms. So we wandered through the Grand Lounge (some places call this the Great Room) with fireplaces as tall as me. Noah counts chandeliers. All are in awe-it really is a Grand Lounge. We read the various historical plaques.. After going around the public areas on the first floor, we go out and circle around the outside of the dinning area. Sherri and I ate here 40 years ago on our fifth anniversary. For a simple person like myself, this is an impressive area-I always approach it with awe. Sometime during this day, I was asked if there were Indian grinding holes in Yosemite. There are some in the back of the hotel.

It is time to head home. There is one more stop I want to make on the west end of the Valley. But as I am going along Northside Drive, talking about the natural firefall, I glance up at El Capitan. There is a bright red patch. Right then, we are passing El Capitan’s picnic area, so I pull in and start gawking. This is one of those experiences which Yosemite gives you unbidden. Hopefully it is not a once in a lifetime. Not only is El Capitan lit up, but looking towards Sentinel Rock-not Dome-that whole ridge has turned orange. Just a total Wow!

But there is one more stopping place: Valley View. This is a turnout right before the road loops back around to go back up highway 41. This is one of the many great views looking up the Valley. I am not expecting much since the sun has already set and the Valley is growing darker by the moment. Once again, I am surprised. The kids like being around the Merced River and the adults are just so fascinated by the darkening views.

View the Valley from Valley View

Finally, we leave the Valley in the dark. We stopped in Wawona to order a pizza. The first place will close before we get there, but Round Table is open, so we order a pizza from them. I do not know if it was because we were hungry or the pizza was good, but all of us were well satisfied. Then off we went back to Fresno. Along the way, there was one more teaching moment. I taught an ancient chant which shows each person the enlightenment of who they are, “Owa! Tagoo! Siam!”. If you do not understand, just repeat it until you do. We get home by 9:30, a bit tired, ready for bed and still rolling in laughter with enlightenment.




Background

Ahwahnee Meadow. It turns out that the Park Service is doing a restoration project to the meadow. They are removing the hard surfaces such as unneeded pavement and tennis courts and returning the area to vegetation. The natural drainage is being restored. While I cannot find a specific project for what we are seeing, it is in the right area.

Little Finger. Turns out my little finger had a minor fracture. Just enough to turn it black and blue the next morning. The following Monday, Kaiser puts a splint on it. I guess if I am going to break any bone in my body, this would be the one.

Prescribed Burn. Yosemite has been doing prescribed burns for years on the Valley floor. Way before that, the Native-Americans who spent their Summers there would regularly burn the area as well. But evidently they were not ready to burn on the 21st. A followup email indicated they started the burn the next day. The idea behind prescribed burns is that it cleans up the ground from a layer of natural debris. This returns the nutrients to the ground and makes an area less vulnerable to intense fire.




Extra Photo's



Yosemite Valley from Valley View


Evening glow on Sentinel Rock from El Capitan Picnic Area

Glow on a spot of El Capitan from the Picnic area. The dark spot is the chip which fell a couple of years ago

Gary and Sherri at Tunnel View

El Capitan from Tunnel View

Yosemite Valley from Tunnel View

Yosemite Falls-before the storm-from Sentinel Dome

Enjoying the view from Sentinel Dome


No comments:

Post a Comment