Monday, May 30, 2022

May 30, 2022 - Delilah Lookout

 

 Title: May 30, 2022 - Delilah Lookout

Hike Info:
Type: Lookout
Description:

It is a different morning this morning. I woke up at 0500 to a cloudless sky, brightening up with some hints of pinks and purples. I tucked my head back in the bag and slept a bit more, finally getting up around 0615. The sun has risen and there is not a cloud in the sky. A glorious morning. I can see into Yosemite, I think, Red Mountain just barely peeks its top over a ridge in the distance, at least it has the right azimuth.

I get up and start preparing for this evenings’ departure. But then I hear the thumping of motors-four trucks without least 10 people, probably more, unload from the cars. This is at 0645, a bit too early for visitors. I tell them that Delilah will be open in a couple of hours. They linger around and talk with each other, but by 0700 they have left. This gives me an opportunity to lug stuff down to my truck for my get away this evening..

Possibly Red Mountain in Yosemite, over 50 miles away

And then before I know it, it is 0800, time for going in service this Memorial Day. I radio both Porterville and Sierra to know my presence-Porterville’s response was a bit staticy. Shortly afterwards Buck Rock goes in service as well-she has a harder time hearing Porterville’s response than I did. After discussing the situation, she will give them a call and see what they can do. (Later Porterville sounds fine.) I then have my granola breakfast while looking for smoke. One of the first places which I did look for a smoke was where the Park Fire was yesterday. It is clear.

Back to the normal routine. of scanning. But this morning, I am also cleaning windows. This is not out of the normal event, just a routine task for when you are living in a room which is predominately walled with glass. Besides, it is a lot easier to see. Just one of the less “glamorous” tasks for being a fire lookout. Of course, I can make even the easiest task hard. One of the paper towels slipped behind the refrig. It took a bit of doing to get it out.

 Today is just about as cool as yesterday, but the air is calm and the moisture level is down. So even though it is 50o I am in a T-shirt unlike yesterday. As noon is approaching, I may be putting back on a long-sleeved shirt. The breeze is kicking back up again.

 

Kaiser Peak, beyond Huntington Lake

Things are going along without incident. Patrol 33 radio’s in a smoke in Redwood Canyon. But I do not hear anything else on it all afternoon. Buck Rock does check in with me to see if I can spot it. That is a negative as there is the end of Park Ridge which blocks our view. Looking at the coordinates, it sounds like it is to the south of Buena Vista Peak. My guess is that it will be left to burn as most of the area was hit by the KNP Complex fire last year.

Patrol 33 is being pretty active as she keeps finding trees and stuff in the road which is cleared away. The rest of the afternoon is just taking care to keep scanning. Around 1700 I start to clean the cab area so I can vacate it. Then 1800 rolls around and I go out of service.

It has been a pretty good time alone up in the lookout. I cannot say I have had any profound thoughts. Just a time away. By 1830 I had my truck packed, keys put away and taking off. When I pass by Sierra Highlands Camp, I look over to see if my Canadian friend is in sight-no. And I continue on. Along the way, I see a small animal hopping along. Not a rabbit, but some sort of cat. I was not quick enough to take a picture or identify it. That was the excitement for the drive home. I got back at 2000, tired and glad to be home.


 Animals


 
Flowers and Plants

 



 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment