Saturday, May 28, 2022

May 28, 2022-Delilah


Title: May 28, 2022 - Delilah
Hike Info : Description :  
Background : Extra Photo's
Hike Info:
Type: Lookout

Description:

Today is the first day for 2022 when I will be in a fire lookout. I will be going up a bit late and staying the next couple of nights. Should be a good and cool visit. When I get up, I do my lightning queries-there is none. Then I go for a walk, followed by breakfast. There is a letter to be finished before I go and a couple of bills to be looked at-guess that is what I will be doing Tuesday. Then I load the truck for my trip. I also get stuff ready for our city street pickup in a week or so.

Big Baldy from Delilah
By the time 11:30 rolls around, I take a shower and have my lunch-all of this sort of normal activity. Then at 1205, I am off. Traffic is not too bad for a Memorial Day weekend. I get to Delilah at 1340 and into the cab before 1400.

I am able to haul enough up to last until 2000. Brent will be doing a refresh with me-to make sure I am OK in the tower without hand holding after being out of the cab for 9 months-that is a long time for an old man to remember things.


One thing we did is to “spot” a fire behind
Patterson Bluffs
Where is this rock?
. I put it on top of
Poison Ridge. We worked with that and then went through the process of reporting it. I did mostly satisfactory. But then Brent did what he really wanted me to do, work through where Poison Ridge is and a large rock at the end of that ridge. After walking through it, looking closely at the contour lines, I realized at that spot on top of that rock, we could not see Poison Ridge. So what are we seeing? Pretty much in line with the “smoke” is on an unnamed ridge where Cabin Meadow resides. On the topo map, there is a large area showing no vegetation below the meadow, unlike on Poison Ridge. That is the conclusion Brent had come up with as well and he wanted to verify this with someone else. (Lori had also come up with the same conclusion before me.) Lesson, our lookout Visual Books are a good tool, but they are not perfect.
 
North Fork of the Kings
 

Brent and I talked a bit more about the various aspects of lookout life. Such as concise communications, as well as making sure the communications are accurate and do not go beyond what is known. Sort of common sense, but over time bad habits can creep in. So it is good to review of what my practices should be.

Towards evening, Brent goes home and I settle down into lookout life. Scans and recording radio communications. At 1800, I eat spaghetti for dinner. I still have a couple more hours of being in-service. Three vehicles come around the loop. Some of the people are yelling-not upset, but a form of communication between vehicles. I see them stopping, but not getting out. So I am wondering what they are doing? Eventually they leave, to my relief. I was not looking to having them as neighbors tonight, even if they were down the road.

Sunset on Park Ridge

 

When I do go out of service at 2000, there is still light. So I get down to the outhouse. Then I am able to get everything I need onto the pulley system. Yeah! I do not need to make a second trip. It is cool and windy, so I am glad to get back into the cab, closing everything up. Sherri and I talk for a bit. Then I read a bit longer before turning in.

 


 



Background

Visual Books. These are books which gave been put together over the years by experienced fire lookout people from each lookout’s perspective. They contain a pictures taken from the lookout. Each picture has about 30-50o. On the picture, prominent points are labeled. Also by each picture is a page showing the points, azimuth, distance, legal location and other useful information. The purpose is to help the fire lookout determine what is being looked at.


Extra Photo's

Patterson Bluffs across the Kings River

Bear Mountain in Tulure County from Delilah

Big Baldy and Redwood Mountain-see the right half? Burnt during KNP Complex fire last year

Shooting the sun with the Fire Finder

No comments:

Post a Comment