Saturday, July 2, 2022

Title: July 2, 2022 - Delilah

 


Hang Glider off of Sontag Point
Title: Title: July 2, 2022 - Delilah
Hike Info : Description
Hike Info:
Type:Lookout
 
Description:

Sherri is still lame and will not be making it to Delilah this weekend. So I am up here alone.

My day started at 0540. I am already packed, except for a few things in the refrig. So I am able to take my time this morning.Sherri gets up and says goodbye to me before I leave at 0700. The trip up to Delilah is uneventful. I am thinking the roads after 180 are getting a bit more rutted. But that may be just my imagination. Coming in, I see a couple dispersed campers over at the junction of Davis and Delilah Roads. I will need to keep an eye there for any illegal smoke I get to Deliah at 0840.


I must be getting better at this packing thing as I think I will be needing only one load going up. Having said that, I discover I am missing one important piece: my sleeping bag. But I think I will be OK. There is a blanket in the car and I can wear my clothing if I get too cold. Still would have rather had my sleeping bag.

Where's my radio?
I get situated and take the weather. By this time it is 0915 and I go into service with both Porterville and Sierra. Today’s radio situation is a bit more complicated than usual. Each lookout has two radios: a base radio and a handheld. Our base radios are set up to listen to Sequoia National Forest and a few other channels-they can do a lot more, but that is the main thing which it does. The handheld at Delilah and Buck Rock is used to talk with Sierra National Forest-Park Ridge’s handheld is set up to listen to SEKI Park. At Delilah, the base radio went out. So all of the radio traffic is on that single radio. Most of the time, I am keeping track of who is talking. But I have gotten so used to knowing that if sound is coming from the handheld, it is Sierra. They tell me I will be getting a replacement today.

Life in the tower is pretty normal. Doing a scan of my area every 15 minutes, listening to the radio, going through my list of places. and just flat out enjoying being up here. Most of the radio traffic is illegal camping, illegal fires or resources changing locations.

Just a hint of Buck Rock

Usually the Kings River does not have a lot of activity. Today is the exception. There were a couple things which happened before I got in. But around 1030, there was a tense time, a medical emergency down at Kirch Flat. Even though it is close to me, 5.5 miles, it is behind a ridge. I can only hear the radio where a Skylift helicopter has been ordered and the responder will continue to do CPR. This situation continues on for about an hour, with Sierra calling in assistance for crowd control.

One of these people was just down the road, trying to help get a car out of the Kings. A medical emergency takes priority. So he leaves. A little while later I am hearing Patrol 31 and Division 3 talking. They are also down at the Kings, around Camp 4½. 

 

The rest of the day does not possess much in the way of excitement. In looking over towards Park Ridge, I see a glint just above the ridge. This is about the same place as I thought I saw an RV over the Memorial Day weekend. Wendy had noted that other Delilah Lookouts were thinking that they were seeing Buck Rock. When I take the azimuth, it is directly in line. Also when I enlarge a picture, it looks like the top of a lookout. (When I get home and put the image on a computer monitor, I am not so sure.)

Smoke as seen from Buck Rock

Same smoke from Delilah


 
 
 
 
 
The rest of the afternoon passes pretty peacefully until 1600. Because of the radio situation, I hear the Porterville Indices and Weather-I already have the weather. But I miss Sierra’s lookout check-in. So I have to do a mea culpa with Sierra and say I miss the check in due to radio problems.

You would think that being away from everybody, COVID would not be a concern. But Sherri let me know that a friend of ours whom we were around this week caught COVID. No symptoms on my part and I have had both booster shots. So I am not overly concerned. But I am to give a refresh to another person tomorrow. So I called her up. She is still willing, but we both will be masked.

After 1700, I saw smoke on the Valley floor. It is out of our calling area, so I ignore it. But about 10 minutes later Buck Rock sees the smoke. But from his perspective, he cannot tell where it is. Park Ridge blocks his view. He can only tell it is at azimuth 255. Park Ridge Lookout chimes in about the smoke being on the Valley floor. Buck Rock calls me and we discuss where it is and what he is seeing. We conclude that is what he is seeing. He sends me a picture from his view. Both Wendy and I sent him pictures.

I take a small break and have dinner. Sherri made hamburgers last night. So I heated up a burger and ate while enjoying the scenery. Now it is more looking around and getting prepared to shut down for the night. At 2000, I went out of service. Then down the stairs and pick up the blanket it feels like it should be warm enough tonight that I will not have any issues.

Buck Rock calls me and we try to see each other's lights. But it is still too light. We will try again later. He can see the fireworks at Shaver. There are a few going off in the Valley. Around 2115, we tried the lights again. Success! At least partially. Buck Rock’s light is a bit too dim-he says he has a 40 watt bulb there. But he can see my lights. To confirm, I flash it off and on. Confirmation! We can see the two.

I talk with Sherri for a few minutes and then I close my eyes around 2200.



No comments:

Post a Comment