Sunday, July 17, 2022

July 17, 2022 - Delilah

 

 


Title: July 17, 2022 - Delilah
Hike Info : DescriptionExtra Photo's : Animals
Hike Info:
Type:Lookout

Description:

I slept well, very well. A little before 0500 I woke up, slept for 20 minutes more and then saw a glorious sunrise. Sunsets and sometimes-too few in my mind, sunrises are the payment we get for staffing a lookout like Delilah. Of course, yesterday and probably today, we will have our sins burnt out of us. But I am enjoying the “cool” 77 degrees of the morning.

I knew from last night’s experience that the lightning report was going to take a while to write. That turned out to be true. Lots of lightning in the high country. Also two strikes in an area where I thought I saw smoke last night.

Around 0800, we have breakfast. For me, it was too hot for oatmeal, so I had granola. Sherri wanted oatmeal, so she made it. And then we proceeded on to the new day. We have stashed our long term stuff down in the car, but we still have enough up here in the cab.

Delilah goes into service right after Park Ridge

Warm Lasanga Lunch
at 0930. I first go in service with Sierra, letting them know that I do not see any smoke from the area I thought I saw a smoke last night. A minute later, Sierra’s BC42 radios for Delilah. He copied my transmission and let me know that a reconnaissance plane would be up around 1100-1130. I go into service with Porterville.

And now it is doing the regular stuff. Doing scans, listening to radio, responding to any inquiries our way. At 1041, we hear the reconnaissance plane telling BC42.that they are not seeing any smoke, but there is one area they want to follow up on. A few minutes later, my hopes for a confirmation from last night are dashed--On the other hand, I am also relieved on what they found-a campfire from a dispersed campers. BC42 sends a patrol to find the campers and deal with them-they get a warning.




And now back to routine stuff. Well as routine as it can be when you are trying to find ways to keep cool. I will admit, it could be worse-we have been up here when it is worse, much worse. And yet, when you are in the heat, that is where my mind takes me. I am thankful for the breezes which come through Delilah. But remember Delilah has a tin roof and windows on all four sides. So when the sun hits the cab, it heats up. Enough griping and complaining.

 

 

 

Inside of the cab temperature

We have lasagna for lunch. I text a couple of people with a picture of us saying we are not having trouble keeping our lasagna warm. An advantage of having two of us up here is that I can take a nap. And that is what I do for an hour. I woke up refreshed.

Well, about as refreshed as you can be in the heat. Sherri has been standing watch, so I now get into the rotation as well. Not too much activity. Sounds like people are pretty much being peaceful out there. The clouds which were so prevalent yesterday are still gathering. But yesterday must have spent their strength. They do not seem nearly as ominous today.

As the time approaches 1800, we have our lunch, then clean up the cab. Sherri goes down first and loads stuff into the car which I send down with the pulley system. At 1800, I go out of service with Porterville and Sierra. And then I lock up and leave Delilah. By 1830, we are on the way home, arriving around 2000. Good to be in an air conditioned car and then better in an air conditioned home, able to take a shower and wash away the sweat.


 


Extra Photo's

Just an interesting cloud

Mt Hoffman and Finger Rock

Sunrise at Delilah, and one of the better ones, looking back into Split Mtn


Animals



No comments:

Post a Comment