Thursday, March 21, 2024

March 21, 2024 - Eureka: Ferndale and Humboldt Bay National Wildlife Refuge

 

Title: March 21, 2024 - Eureka: Ferndale and Humboldt Bay National Wildlife Refuge


Hike Info:

Type: Hiking : Car

Trail head:  Humboldt Bay National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center

Trail: Unnamed

Destination: None

Distance:  1.7 miles 1


 1I did not track on the GPS. The mileage is from plotting out the route on Google Earth. The relative elevation gain or loss was negligible.
Hadley Gardens


Description:

Last night my slumber, and Sherri’s, was interrupted by my blood sugar monitor going off. I took care of that but it certainly breaks up the sleep. I think it was a false alarm-at least 90% of them are and I was not feeling like I had anything going on. After falling asleep for a couple more hours, I did manage to get up at 7:30. I have been sleeping a bit long the past couple of days.

I had my breakfast and then played like a dog and followed David around as he reworked my jigsaw puzzle tray. He does such good work-he got talent. We did a few things but mostly just lounging and enjoying each other’s company.

Downtown Ferndale
 

 

Today we will at least go to Ferndale. At 10:25 we leave David’s house for Ferndale. Even though Ferndale is not too far away, it does involve crossing the famous Ferndale Bridge-sorry, no pictures. Shortly, we get to Ferndale.

David parks right in front of Hadley Gardens. This is a pretty small park. Being little does not mean it is for children, even though it has a miniature Victorian house. The park seems like it is both a demonstration area as well as a quiet place just to rest your mind at. There are local plants growing as well as a nice lawn area. Also a solar powered flower is employed to power all of the park, including the waterfall, and feeds into the power for Ferndale. 
An Abrakas hat
 

Went up and down main street, stopping at various stores like the Golden Gait Mercantile and the Ferndale Fine Arts-where we looked over the exhibits of various local artists. Confession: 90% of the work was not anything which I was interested in. Maybe the most interesting place was Abrakas. In the back they had hats, and more hats, and still more hats. We stayed in the back for a good length of time. Confession #2: After being in several stores for a few minutes, I would go out to the street and enjoy the sun and read.

 

 

It is getting to be about noontime and we are a bit hungry. David spots a place called Ferndale Meat Company

Sherri spotting wildlife
. The building looks old-I think you have to have that in Ferndale. Once inside, I had the feeling of a butcher shop from the 1950’s. There was not a whole bunch of decor to it. But you cannot eat decor, the question is, do they serve sandwiches and do they taste good? The answer is yes to both. Though they are inexpensive, this is a winner of a place. I had a pastrami sandwich and was satisfied. If you are looking for a full line of lunch selection or a comfortable dining experience, this is not it. The eating section is more of a back office area with a capacity of about ten. That is OK after all you cannot taste ambience it is the food which matters and the food is good.

I think we have had enough of Ferndale. David asks, Are we up to doing a bit of walking? Yes! So he takes us up 101 aways to the Humboldt Bay National Wildlife Refuge. While the visitor center is not open, the outdoor area is. We hung around the visitor center, looking at signs and through a telescope. Then headed out into the refuge, along well marked trails.



Our walk is definitely not at a march pace, or even at hike speed. Probably someplace around a stroll or saunter. But then again, we are not out to make time or miles. Instead we investigate every bird, from a seagull to an egret to ducks and geese to even a whimbrel, whatever that may be.We stopped to take pictures of whatever moved and some things which didn’t. It is good to have curiosity and even better things to be curious about. This occupies us for a couple of hours. After only going 1 ¾ miles, I am tired and glad to be back at David’s.

Usually at the end of the day, I will write a few bullets about what we did during this day to remind myself of what I felt was important. Today, I did not write anything down. So as I am writing this up two weeks out, I have forgotten what happened after we returned, including what we had for dinner. I do know that we packed and got ourselves ready to go for an early start tomorrow.



Trail Lesson: It is good to have curiosity and even better to have things to be curious about.

Background

Trip Advisor: Ferndale Meat Company. The building looks old-I think you have to have that in Ferndale. Once inside, I had the feeling of a butcher shop from the 1950’s. There was not a whole bunch of decor to it. But you cannot eat decor, the question is, do they serve sandwiches and do they taste good? The answer is yes to both. Though they are inexpensive, this is a winner of a place. I had a pastrami sandwich and was satisfied. If you are looking for a full line of lunch selection or a comfortable dining experience, this is not it. The eating section is more of a back office area with a capacity of about ten. That is OK after all you cannot taste ambience it is the food which matters and the food is good.



Extra Photo's





Animals




Geese



Turkey Vulture

Turkey Vulture

Whimbrel

Egret

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment