Wednesday, May 26, 2021

May 26, 2021 - Park Ridge Lookout

 


Title: May 26, 2021 - Park Ridge Lookout
Hike Info : Description : Extra Photo's : Animals
Hike Info:
Type: Lookout
 

Description:

Shell Mountain, Poop-Out Pass, and Mt Silliman



Yipee! I am going to a lookout for the first time this season! Not only that, but I will be the opening voice at Park Ridge. For the past 17 years, Wendy has been that voice, but she has graciously allowed me to slip in before she comes in three days from now. I hope I do not screw it up-my radio talking is not the best.

 

 

North, Including Finger Rock and Mt Hoffman
But first I need to get up there. I got up a bit before my alarm, about 5;45. I checked to see if there was any lightning yesterday in our area-Nope. So I get ready, eat my breakfast and leave by 7:15. When I get to the Kings Canyon entrance, they treat me like royalty-they wave me through-might be the plaque on the side of the car. I stopped at the visitor center and let them know that Park Ridge lookout will be staffed. and then on up to Panorama Point. Then turn off, unlock the gate and head down the service road to the lookout.

 

Clouds starting to build up in early afternoon

It is a good sight to see. While I snowshoed up the Azalea Trail to it last March, it is a special feeling entering as a lookout. I will go in-service, but I am hoping to spend the day getting back acquainted with the area, being able to identify points, handle the radio coherently and just do the duties of a good lookout. Below is a log of what I did, to give you an idea. And then there are some comments at the end.

Time

From

To

Desc

05:45



Got up

07:15



Left Fresno

08:25



Stopped at Grant Grove Visitor Center-Bathroom. Also talked with Rangers to say PRLO would be staffed and explain what visitors could do.

08:58



Arrived at PRLO

09:00



Open LO. Turn on radios, get logbooks out, unload what I brought up. Got sign put up about masking

09:10



No water from faucet.

09:15



Found that there was a coupling split.

09:19



Took Weather

09:29

PRLO

AMF

In Service for the 2021 season

09:31

DEL

PTV

In Service

09:32

PRLO

PTV

In Service for the 2021 season

09:32

PRLO

Wendy

Let Wendy know we are in-service

09:41

PRLO

BC1, Wendy

Letting them know we have a split coupling from water tank.

09:50

BC1

PRLO

What size- Looks like 1” from my measurement.

10:01

PRLO

Wendy

Rain Gauge-no top; WiFi does not have internet connection

10:06

P32

PTV

In Service to Dunlap

10:06



Beginning First Scan. You would think I would have been able to do this before now

10:14



Radio traffic has been interesting on the Kern RD. Somebody has gone over an embankment.

10:19



Heard a boom or car door slam. Nobody around and no vehicle. Did something happen on the General’s Highway-it is right below PRLO

10:33



Finished second scan

10:34



This is a WOW day. Can see so much. Finger Rock and Mt Hoffman are very visible. I think Kaiser Peak is also. (Probably Tamarack Mtn)

10:40

BC1

PRLO

Confirming size and galvanized. Measured again.

10:51



Starting third scan

10:56

PTV


Weather and Staffing. I am really rusty on this.

11:12



Finished third scan.

11:34



Start fourth scan

11:38

Greg G

PRLO

Called about various things, including refresh training

11:54



Hawk gliding by-another WOW time. So close, and so quick

11:59

P32

PTV

Inservice to Buck Rock

12:01



Finished Fourth Scan

12:09

P31

PTV

In service to Delilah

12:31



Start fifth scan-never finished

12:35



First visitors of the season-young men from Missouri

12:45



Trail Crew-came up Azalea Trail. Four people. Came up the catwalk

13:20



Visitors-one from Boston, other from Huntington Beach

13:35



Took Weather

13:00



Start of sixth scan

13:08



Finished sixth scan

13:09



Lunch

13:18



Finished lunch

13:40



Start seventh scan

13:48



Finished seventh scan

13:55

AMF


Indices

13:59

E32

PTV

At Buck Rock LO

14:05



Fire: Mountain Incident, near Formosa Pt and Hart Road. Outside of our area

14:08



Finally got a chance to start working through orientation points.Mitchel Peak-spot on. Burnt Point, once I got the right point, it was correct

14:12



Started eighth scan

14:17



H552 responding to Mountain Fire

14:47



Finished eighth scan

14:40



Started ninth scan

14:20



Finished ninth scan

14:22

Wendy


Wendy called to check in

14:44



Buildings at 285o . Looks like it could be the north side of Sequoia Lake-I do not think I have seen Sequoia Lake or these buildings before-no lake, just buildings.

15:00

BC1


BC1 came by. It was the wrong size fitting. He will be by Friday.

15:05



BC1 spotted a smoke on the Valley floor.

13:06

PRLO

Wendy

Let Wendy know about the pipe situation, and why I am not part of the maintenance crew. Also that BC1 found a smoke.

15:29

Wendy

PRLO

Identifies it as a CalFire smoke, at Reed and Central

15:11



Starting scan number ten

15:23



Finish tenth scan

15:39



Back to Orientation points. Tulare’s Bear Mtn-this one is so subjective to figure out where the high point is But got Tucker and Fresno Bear. Nelson, I got the wrong hump, then found the right one.

15:44



Start Eleventh Scan

16:00



Visitors from Minnesota

16:00

PTV


Indices and Weather

16:15

PRLO

BR

Asked if BR was having visitors-no. My Minnesota visitors were staying at Big Meadows

16:29



Starting twelfth scan

16:42



Finish twelfth scan

16:49


AMF

Some person was stopped and cited for operating a drone in the Park

17:14

P32

PTV

Back in quarters-Pinehurst

17:20



Start cleaning and sanitizing cab

17:52

Ch1

AMF

15 minutes from Grant Grove

17:55

CH1

AMF

Out of Service

17:56

PRLO

AMF

Out of Service

17:56

Wendy

PRLO

Wishing me safe travels home. My response is that it has been a WOW day!

17:59

PRLO

PTV

Out of Service

18:11

BC1

PRLO

OK with what happened on the coupling sizing

18:26

Gary

Wendy

Realized flag is still up. Letting Wendy know.

The Hershey Kiss before North Guard and Brewer



Obviously, I did not do what I thought I was going to get done today. But it was good being able to interact with visitors, unlike last year where we had to shake our heads and say we were not able to accommodate them, up in the tower. I was able to 

 

 

 

 

Fire in the Valley-not our area to report
Also on the good side, I found a leak in our water supply. On the day we came back from Weaver Lake, it got really cold. Evidently, it cracked a coupling. On the downside, I cannot measure or tell the size of a coupling if my life depended on it. Battalion Chief 1 went to Home Depot, picked up a coupling. When we came to Park Ridge, it was the wrong size. BC1 was very gracious to me I felt. I found out later that the tank was pretty much empty. As I told Wendy, there is a reason why I am not part of the maintenance team for the lookouts.

 

 

 

 

 

Cloud over Big Baldy
Another impression was just how clear the air was in the morning. It seemed like I could see forever! To one of the visitors I pointed out the tops of the Coastal Range. In another view, I thought I was seeing Kaiser Peak-it was not, just a mountain right beside it called Tamarack Mountain.. Then in the afternoon, the clouds built up and were magnificent.

So glad I was able to go up there on this day. It makes me want to go up in a lookout soon. Maybe next time I will be able to spend more time studying and practicing.

 

 


Extra Photo's



Clouds over Alta Peak

More clouds

Delilah Lookout

Tamarack Peak close to Kaiser Peak

North past the Kings

Big Baldy

Alta Peak and there abouts


Animals


Marmot

No comments:

Post a Comment