Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Sept 22, 2021 - Day Sixteen: Roseburg to Eureka

 

 

Title: Sept 22, 2021 - Day Sixteen: Roseburg to Eureka
Hike Info : Description


Trail head: Dennis and Bonnie’s House
Hike Info:

Type: Car 

Car Mileage:  251 Miles

Description:

It is nice to have a leisurely morning. I woke up a bit before 7, and then read for a while before emerging from our room. I tried to do my lightning reporting again, but not getting e-mails from the site. If I do not get anything by the time I get back to Fresno, I will rattle their cage.

When we emerge, we find that Bonnie has created a quiche with a muffin, a very nice breakfast. Dennis is building his third airplane. So we spent some time down in his shop, the garage part of their Barn, where we slept last night. Both a very intensive year long project, as well as an interesting occupation.He is now riveting the wings. Just observing what he has to do, this is beyond both my patience and abilities. But Dennis is getting great satisfaction out of this.

Dennis is going over to a friend’s house to help with removing a camper shell. I tag along. It is good to meet friends of a friend. While we are there for only a few minutes, you can see the genuineness of the relationship.

When we get back, we pack up the car and say our goodbyes. It is almost 11 by now. The first stop is a little backtrack to the Roseburg Costco to get gas. It is 60 cents cheaper than Eureka. Well worth it.

Now it is down I-5 until we get to Rogue River. This is where my cousin lives, along with her son’s coffee shop Rogue Roasters. We go right by the establishment, but no one seems interested in coffee. So we continue on. I will need to write a note of apology for missing them. But with our start, I do not think we will be able to stop in.




Our way cuts a diagonal over to Crescent City. We follow Highway 199. For lunch and a break from driving, we find a side road and go up it aways to a turn out. There is an interpretive trail and a ravine.. We only eat, not walk. But we do get out and stretch our legs some. When we cross into California, we go through California vehicle inspection for fruit. Then on our way. Another rest stop and then through the
Jedediah Smith State Park/Redwood National Park. Beautiful area.

Then we make it to Crescent City. I think Google decided to take us through the back roads of Crescent City-my kind of roads. But not seeing the bigger picture, I wonder where Google is taking us. But eventually we get to Highway 101. And now we are heading south towards Eureka.

About ten miles south of Crescent City, we stop at a turn out and enjoy a 30 minute break from driving. It is nice feeling the ocean air and hearing the scream of the gulls. We just bask in the sun for a while. Then back in the car and head south to David’s.

When we get to Redwood National Park, we take Newton Drury Parkway through the park. Serene. ferns and sempervirens cover the landscape. While slower, and I go slower yet, it is better just because we do not wiz past the beauty. We do not become immersed in it like we would walking, it is just a reminder of what we are missing by not going slow. Pleasurable drive down.

As we leave the park, there are a couple of elk beside the road. This elicits some “Look!”, but not really a good place to stop, so no chance to gawk at them. In about 45 minutes, right before 5pm, we get to David’s house. He has dinner ready for us. Ribs and bread and cauliflower. He cooks really good.

When I look down at my phone, I see lots of emails from my lightning data requests. Guess I will not need to rattle their cage. David suggests we take a walk at Sequoia Park and which we accept. Nice 45 minute of walking around.

Then it is back to David’s house for our family Zoom call-only Rachel comes on. We talk for half an hour and then fold. During that time, David provides an apple pie and vanilla ice cream. Did I say that he feeds us good?

Our discussion is about tomorrow-what is the air quality going to be like in Fresno tomorrow? Right now it looks really bad. So we delay a decision until tomorrow. Then it is off to bed, a little before 10pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment