Saturday, September 3, 2022

September 3, 2022 - Delilah

 

Title: September 3, 2022 - Delilah
Hike Info : Description : Trail Lessons 
Hike Info:
Type:Lookout


Description:

I got up around my normal time, doing the normal stuff. I will be going to Delilah this afternoon. I just need to get a few things together and I should be ready-emphasis on the should. Since I am not leaving Fresno until 1500, So I just putter around most of the day. Sherri fixes a mac and cheese lunch/dinner before I take off. I also take a shower and get everything in the car. I leave later than I expected:1530. It is about 105o now-not looking forward to the heat up there.

Rain falling beyond Park RIdge
The traffic was not too bad, particularly for a Labor Day weekend. Of course, it is in the middle of a hot afternoon. Looks like even with a late start I should make it up to Delilah close to the 1700 arrival time I was thinking I would arrive at.

As I climb up Millwood, I meet BC31 coming down. He was helping to patrol the area. I had not met him before, so we talk for a few minutes, more of an introduction both ways. He says that he was at Delilah earlier-there had been a tree which fell across the road. And then we are off. But about a minute later, another Forest Service truck comes down the road. It is Div 3. He is in charge of the Hume Lake area for fire related matters. I have met him before and he recognizes me. We chat for about five minutes, talking about the heat-I have a lot of sympathy for those out in the field. Then there is a fire toned out in Miramonte. This far and away takes precedence over any chatting we do.

By the time I make it to Delilah, it is 1715. I exchange greetings with Micah. The fire which Div 3 was called out on is called the Thunder fire. I wonder what is named Thunder in the area? Micah has friends in the area. As soon as she gives me the rundown on what is going on, she is ready to leave. I do not blame her. It is 90o in the cab. But she has a more pressing reason. A friend of hers has livestock in the area. So she is off to help them move the animals.

Evening clouds color the sky

I get settled down, putting stuff away and getting situated into lookout life. This will be my home for the next 72 hours. I do the scans, listen to the radio and have a few bites to eat. Our resources are being called off of the Thunder fire. So life returns back to normal.

Interesting watching the temperature outside. It starts at 85, drops to 83, then at 1848, it rises to 86. I was wondering why I was sweating more now. What happened to that nice breeze earlier? It may also be that the sun has now poked its face underneath some clouds. Let's hope for some clouds tomorrow.

Looking down towards the outhouse, there are some dark spots down there. Trying to figure out what it is. When I get my binoculars on them, it is a flock of quail. Hope this is a sign that there will be plenty of things to hold my interest through Tuesday.

 

At 2000, I go out of service. It has already started getting dark. I still have a few things down in the car to bring up. So down I go-the quail have left the outhouse area, but their tracks are still evident.

Attempt at the stars

I had been realizing when I came in, that I forgot some stuff-both food and material stuff. As I am working my way through the list, I start thinking about can I make it through until Tuesday night? The answer is yes, with a bit of ingenuity. The list included:

  • Pillow
  • Cookies
  • Bread
  • Fan
  • Towels-to soak in water
  • Sheets

Before going to bed, Sherri and I talked for a while. It is around 2200 before we quit. I try a few things with the camera and night skies. This is a try out time for me. I had wanted to see if my phone was any good at night. The answer is yes. I just need to play with it.



Trail LessonWhen I want to take something, be sure to put it down on the checkoff list.


No comments:

Post a Comment