Monday, September 5, 2022

September 5, 2022 - Delilah

 

Title: September 5, 2022 - Delilah
Hike Info : Description : Trail Lessons : Background 

Hike Info:
Type:Lookout

Description:

I woke up around 0500. The stars are still out, shining brightly and there is only the vagist hint of a morning being brought beyond the crest. I drift on and off to sleep for half an hour. By then, the sun has decided to creep over the mountains, highlighting the clouds. I get up and do my lighting report-don’t you get tired of me saying that? There were three strokes, all south of Florence Lake.

By the time I get done with the report, it is time to make a quick trip down to the base of the tower, to get a few things together to bring back up. Then it is back up into the tower and getting ready for the new day. Ten minutes later I go into service. Despite the cloud cover, it is already getting warm-81 outside and 83 in the cab-I do not think it will get better. Today is slated to be the hottest day of this heat wave. How can something called a wave be so discomforting? I know, there are also tidal waves and the like. But when you are in the middle of something, you think this is the worst thing ever-it is not.

Clouds above Park Ridge


Then I start my routine of scanning, listening to the radio. I do have a dish of granola for breakfast. When taking a look at the weather, there definitely is a layer of smoke, dirt, and smog a little higher than me across the Central Valley. Also Kathy calls me and we talk for about twenty minutes. It is always good to hear from her. She is so positive of a person.

Last night during our family Zoom time, Sherri brought up that Meagan talked about Silence during her sermon-I suspect the “her'' may be not right, after all isn’t a sermon God speaking to us. Is the message then God’s or it should be the congregation’s, through a messenger? I digress. I should also say, I have not heard the sermon and probably will not for a few more days.

That has got me thinking about a book I am using as a source of meditation, Backpacking with the Saints by Weldon C. Lane. There is a chapter in there about Solitude. He also has a great deal to say about the need for Silence. Up here in the lookout, I definitely do not have a lot of direct human contact. But is that Solitude? In the tower, it really is not Silence, at least during working hours, as with the two radios going, there is rarely time where they are silent for more than 15 minutes. And by the time I get done, I am ready for bed. I need to figure out a different routine.

My "Spaceship" cloud

Both Silence and Solitude do not have value in themselves. Such as I can while away my time alone playing games or reading light-weight books during my time. But does that really count as something which anybody would consider a splendid use of that time? And now that I am to write this, I see that I am thinking in utilitarian terms. I suspect that “use” is not the main thrust of either one. It more is: how do I get to know myself better? How do I get to know my God better? That would be where Silence and Solitude should lead me. Both “know’s” are not quantifiable in terms of productivity and so cannot be thought about in their utility. Rather I think times of quiet allows me to understand more of God’s intentions in my life.

Maybe that is why it is so hard to be still. Understanding leads to action and action with understanding can lead to discomfort. Discomfort in that action is change-I learned that early on in Physics. May I need to make my life open to the changes the Father wants.

One of the things with scans is that I am learning to observe. From a lookout, it is just a matter of time before birds come into view. Two red-winged hawks were doing a synchronized dance when I was looking towards Sampson Flat. They were twirling around. I suspect they were looking for game. Last night I was reading how hawks will use their shadow to drive their prey into chaos, making the prey easier to spot. I guess it is not to provide me with a few moments of awe. They quickly disappear. But then a red-headed woodpecker appears on a dead tree to the east. Another way to slow down and enjoy the wonder which I have been given.

Looking up the Kings River

For as hot as the prediction was, it does not seem to be that hot. I am still sweating, but there is a pleasant breeze which gives the illusion of coolness until I step into the sunlight. Then I know it's hot.

Just got through reading Wendy’s staffing e-mail. I just saw that I was to go into service at 0700. Sigh, I should have read it closer. In the past during extended hours it has been 0800 to 2000. I was looking to see what time they had us getting off tonight-2000. Am I getting tired of the heat?

The heat does not feel as bad as it did Sunday, so I am slightly more active. I do stop and lay down occasionally in the afternoon. But those are for 15 minute spurts-governed by my timer. Nothing exciting. There are more clouds. I let Buck Rock know that I am seeing a cell going in her direction on the Earthnetworks map.

Around 1745, I have my dinner: skillet warmed Mexican food. Filling and satisfying. Also I end up eating some crackers, nuts, and cookies.

 


 

 

Night settling in over Delilah
But my reverie of food and contentment at not having anything happen in my area ends. There is a fire called out by Sierra in the Burrough Valley area. Wait, that is just across the lake (Pine Flat) from me, just short of 16 miles. But as much as I look over there, I cannot see the smoke. The haze really blocks any chance of spotting it. Also, I think there is a slight ridge between me and it. I call in that I cannot see any smoke. Then about seven minutes later, there is a plume of white against the dirty gray of the haze. There is the smoke. Right on the mark which I had calculated it would be. I call that in as well. That is about all I can do for this fire. If it starts getting bigger, I will note that with Sierra.

I continued scanning until 2000. Even though as the shadows extend and the ravines get swallowed up in darkness, the benefits of being up here diminish. At 2000 I go out of service. After a trip downstairs, I talked with Sherri for a while. Then it is time to drift off to sleep.

 

 





Trail Lesson:  Read and understand; do not assume.


Background

Time

Outdoors Temp

Inside Temp

0800

81

83

0900

83

86

1000

85

88

1100

88

90

1200

87

89

1400

86

88

1500

78

89

1600

89

92



No comments:

Post a Comment