Monday, February 7, 2022

February 7, 2022-Hawaii: Snorkeling at Two Step and Sunset at the Hilton

 

 


 
Title:February 7, 2022-Hawaii: Snorkeling at Two Step and Sunset at the Hilton
Hike Info : DescriptionExtra Photo's




Hike Info:
Type: Snorkeling


Description:

I woke up once again around 5am, which is 7am in Fresno. But I laid in bed until right before 7. The wind was blowing and the room was cool, so Sherri and I were for each of our share of the sheets this morning. David fixed eggs for Sherri-I being a stick in the mud have my normal granola.

 

By 8:15 we were off to Two Step, a wonderful bay called Hōnaunau Bay near the City of Refuge, Pu’uhonua O Honaunau National Historical Park . There was traffic going into Kona, but little going in our direction. So we made the trip in about an hour. After paying the parking fee of $5-otherwise we walk a ways for off the side of the road parking, we get our gear on. By the time we hit the water it is 9:30. The we in this case is Kevin, David and myself. Sherri opts to visit Pu’uhonua O Honaunau National Historical Park .

 

 To get into the water at Two Steps is just as it sounds. There is a rock step and then the water. We get our flippers on the step and flip on our face masks and step in. I am the last one in. Immediately I appreciate the magic of Two Step. Clear water and lots of different types of fish. I catch up with them and we start swim southwest, We quickly encountered a mosaic of yellow fish-butter tang.




 

This distracts me as I am mesmerized by them. When I poke my head up I do not find David or Kevin. I swim a little ways until I hear David calling me into his direction. We explore some of the reef and then hit some deeper water. Then the question is where is Kevin. We eventually find him out beyond the reef. He waves us over to him as he is excited about the underwater scenery. David takes off like a torpedo while I cannot even say I am like a turtle-have you ever seen those things in water? They are deceptively fast.
Whale Splash




We spend about another 10-15minutes on the outside part of the reef, admiring the underwater wonders. The fish seem to take us on as another non-hostile entity. A trumpet fish swims about a foot in front of me, while earlier Kevin and I swim through a school of pencil fish. So much Wow.

Kevin starts to make the long trip back in. I tag along with David. But Kevin calls us over. He has found a 4’ morel eel. So many sights there are under the water. He goes on in. David and I head south and make our way around the southern end of the bay, looking for things to see along the route. Eventually we go in on the boat ramp, about 30 yards from our entry point. It was a good swim.

 
 
Gary and Sherri at the Hilton

We are going back now. But first, we will stop by Hula Daddy Coffee. When we get there, we find out it is closed on Mondays. Oh well. So we stop by Costco for gas, then head back to the condo for lunch. After lunch, I rest by reading for about 2 hours before heading downstairs to watch the Olympics with David.


We have a pulled pork sandwich-Kevin cooked it in Eureka and brought it over. Tasted good. Then we head over to the Hilton to watch the sunset. As a bonus we see some whale spouts. Then head through the Hilton to get back to the car. We finish watching the Olympics before turning in for a nights sleep.

 

 


 


 
Extra Photo's

Stairs leading into the main part of the Hilton

Walking Behind the Hilton Waterfall





No comments:

Post a Comment