Thursday, February 10, 2022

Title: February 10, 2022-Hawaii: Scratch on Snorkeling, But Go to Wai’po and a Book Group

 


Title: Title: February 10, 2022-Hawaii: Scratch on Snorkeling, But Go to Wai’po and a Book Group
Hike Info : Description   Extra Photo's : Animals : Flowers and Plants

Hike Info:
Type:Car


Description:

I think I may be a bit apprehensive about going to Puako again-David and Kevin may be a bit as well

First beach entrance at Puako
. Last night’s sleep was a bit interrupted. But I still got about 8 hours of sleep and an hour more of laying in bed. Also before going to Puako, I felt a bit jittery. Taking my blood sugar reading it is low. So I start scarfing up a mochi, then some macadamia nut cookies and a glass of milk.

By the time we get to Puako, I am OK blood sugar wise-we will see how my mind works when my toes touch the water. But when we get to the first beach access, there seems to be some pretty rough water out there. Everybody is more cautious after last time, so we do not go into the water here. But we continue on down to an access spot close to the Catholic Church. At first, the waters seem to be acceptable, but then on a closer look, there was rough water with even bigger waves. So snorkeling today is a scratch.


David and the malasadas


We head back to the condo, where we have breakfast. Then we pack up to head over to the eastern side of the island. We go through Waimea again-we got our ice cream here earlier. Then on to Tex Drive-In. This was on our list of places to go. Why you might ask? For the malasadas, of course! Not only that, Kevin notes that we on a select items, if you buy a lunch, you will get a second one free. So we get a hamburger Loco-Moco
(after reading the background, I might not have ordered :-) (Kevin gets two beef curry stew rice bowls.) The Loco-Moco is OK, nothing compared to the malasada.

 

 

 

 

Waipo'o Overlook
 

 

 

We then take off to the Waipi’o Overlook. It is only about a twenty minute drive. The view, as we have been here before, is really awesome. You look up the coast-this is where they filmed parts of Waterworld. Then looking up the Waipi’o Valley is good, with its lushness. We spend about 25 minutes just gazing on this.

 

 

 

 

 


Brothers: David and Gary
And then we return back to the condo by 12:30. While I do not think I have done much today, I am tired, so I go upstairs to take a nap. Then I work on getting my questions organized for tonight’s book group. I come down around 3 and putter around for awhile-watch a bit of the Olympics. Sherri has gone out for a swim in the pool. Around 4pm, Sherri and I have the second Loco-Moco bowl. The bowl is a bit degraded, but still edible.

And then 5pm comes around; 7pm PST. Our book group gets started and we talk about Michael Lewis’ book, The Premonition. Sherri and I are on Zoom, most of the rest of the group is in person. It works out fairly decently-just a bit hard to guide the discussion remotely. Kevin and David take off to give us some space-there is not too much private which is said in book group. We end up at 7pm after a good and vibrant discussion.

David and Kevin come back a bit later. I think we are all ready for bed. Tomorrow is our last full day on the Big Island. I suspect my body is ready for a return to my ordinary life. Still it is a place I enjoy and I hope to enjoy this last day as well.

 
 
 
Extra Photo's


Beach at Waipi'o

A plantation in the Waipi'o Valley

We were fascinated with this "Waipi'o spider"

The Waipi'o Overlook

Sherri and our LocoMoco


Animals


 
Flowers and Plants




No comments:

Post a Comment