Saturday, July 18, 2026

July 18, 2026 - Go to Eureka

 

 

 

Title: July 18, 2026 - Go to Eureka

Hike Info:
Type: Car
 
Description:

Today is the start of our planned 17 day trip to Canada which includes a stop at my brother’s place in Eureka and our daughters in Salem. We will spend a week in Canada on Vancouver Island in British Columbia. It will be a long trip with lots of miles driving.

I got up at 6 and looked for lightning-there was none. I do tell the lightning report recipients that I will be traveling for the next two plus weeks, Then I have breakfast and move stuff into the car. Sherri moved some of her stuff last night into the car. I throw my stuff in as well. So things are not efficiently or well packed. But neither do they need to be on this portion of the trip. We just need to make sure we have everything in

Sherri is still getting ready, so I take a short walk, made shorter when I talk with one of the neighbors. We have had an old neighbor die and I was letting Steve know a bit more. This led to neighborhood gossip.

By the time we leave it is 9:50. I drove up to Turlock. Turlock is our new stopping place to get the car washed at Costco. It had not been washed since before the dusty road up to Delilah. It needed it. I suspect Sherri did not want to go into Canada with a dirty car.

Traditional Sundae picture on a Saturday


After Costco, Sherri drives to Modesto. A
fruit stand which used to be in Turlock is now close to Vintage Fair on Pelandale Road. She stops to get peaches and watermelon.

From the fruit stand, I take over driving to Elk Grove and Leatherby’s. We arrived a few minutes before 1pm. This definitely is a stopping place for us. We each have a Cowboy Bacon and Cheese Burger. Then share a white and tan sundae with a dark chocolate ice cream sundae. It tastes so good!

We stop at the Costco in Elk Grove for gas and continue on with me driving. The tea I had for lunch and the liquids I had while driving hit me and based upon previous experience it is a long way to the Clear Lake rest stops, so we stop at the Dunnigan rest stop outside of Sacramento. Then on to the Lucienne Harbor Park in Clear Lake, about an hour and a half later.

We changed drivers there. Sherri drove out to 101. 101 at that point bounces between being a really fast highway with two lanes in each direction, to a windy two lane road with cars constantly coming at you. Sherri drives to the Empire Camp Rest Stop where I take over driving.

We had thought about stopping at another ice cream place in Loleta called Jersey Scoops. But we got to that place at 8 when it closed. We continued on to David’s house, arriving at 8:30. David is already in bed and asleep. We unpack as quietly as we can. Then do a few things. I get to bed at 10pm. Sherri sees David a few minutes afterwards. They exchanged greetings and then they retired as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment