Tuesday, July 21, 2026

July 21, 2026 - Go to Salem


Title: 
July 21, 2026 -  Go to Salem


Hike Info:
Type:Car


Description:

Only a few strikes so my lighting report was mostly quick. In reality it gave me practice in case I needed to do a full report. David gets up and does his exercises. But he does not go for a walk-I think he wants to make sure we are taken care of before we leave. Either that or he is afraid we will leave without us saying bye.

But we do not move fast in leaving. While Sherri is eating breakfast, David and I go for a 20 minute walk. It is good to have a few steps in before driving. Also it is better to have a few minutes of alone time with David.

One thing which I was concerned about with myself was my passport. Did I bring it? It seemed like when I was packing, I first needed to make sure I pulled it out my passport. But what I did not do is check to see if Sherri had hers. She did and did not. She had laid it on the desk, but did not pack it. That led to a frantic conversation with Rachel to see if she could get it up to Andrea’s. Rachel, being the person she is, knew how to get it to us: FedEx. The USPS looked like it would arrive well after we needed to leave.

100 degrees-Willamette Valley

We leave about a quarter to 10 with me driving. It turns out I will drive the entire way, but we have breaks, so it is not too bad. Our very first stop is in Eureka for a cup of coffee at Dutch Brothers. Google map led us on a circulus route, but Sherri got her white mocha and was happy.

This section of 101 is beautiful. Going through redwood forests, so much green along the side of the road; an occasional view of the ocean to break up whatever monotony of all of that beautiful lushness of the forest.


The goodness of going through such a beautiful place was needed on this drive. Why? There are several bits of construction on 101. There were two particular places which held us up for about half an hour apiece. We had plenty of time to admire the beauty.

Gary

We forego’d our traditional stop in Crescent City at Starbucks and continued on. But we did find the Jedidiah Smith State Park Visitor Center for relief. But that was it. Then onward to Cave Junction. We got there about 1 and decided that Taylor Sausage sounded good. Sherri had a Bratwurst with Sauerkraut while I had a Roast Beef French Dip. Both were satisfying.

Before we hit the road, I needed to get gas. David and I had discussed where to get gas. He had noticed that gas in Roseburg was the cheapest. But I would not have enough to get there. Actually a few miles before Cave Junction, the low fuel light came on. So I put 10 gallons in to get to Salem.

Lawrence

Andrea
The trip to Salem was uneventful, but warm. Since leaving the coast, we have been seeing temperatures rise to 100 degrees. I commented to Sherri we traveled all of this way for this heat? We could have gotten it in Fresno. We get to Lawrence and Andrea’s house a few minutes before 6, tired, but safe.

I do not unpack the car until it cools down a bit. Their house does not have AC for the few hot days they get each year. But they do have a basement. We spend some time down there, in the coolness. When Lawrence gets home from the gym, we go out for ice cream at Dreamies Creamery. Their ice cream is made out of goats milk. Maybe a bit smoother texture than cow’s milk. Still pretty decent. By 10, I am ready for bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment