Monday, July 20, 2026

July 20, 2026 - Eureka


Title: July 20, 2026 -  Eureka
Hike Info : Description

Hike Info:

Type: Hiking 

Trail head: McKay Tract Parking area

Trail: Perimeter Trail, Bob Hill Trail

Destination: Loop

Distance:  1.15 miles 1

Elevation Rise: 289 '

Descent: 269‘

Maximum Elevation: 334'

Minimum Elevation: 256'


 1Route was plotted on Google Earth, not with an actual GPS.


Description:

David&Sherri walking to skyway
I got up at 6:15. David is just finishing his morning limbering up time. I see that there is nothing to report as far as lightning is concerned. So I have my breakfast. Sherri did not sleep well last night, so she will be sleeping in.

David is working on providing a redwood worktop for his neighbor. A couple of years ago, there was a couple of redwoods in his backyard which needed to come down-they had become dangerous. He has kept the wood and has been making things such as benches out of the slabs. Much more talented in that regard than I am. Anyway, I provided a little bit of help this morning for him. He still has a ways to go before he installs the finished product.

Before we left Fresno, my cousin Susie had sent a video asking if I had been there. It was on the skywalk at the Sequoia Zoo. We had been to the Zoo several years back, but not the Skywalk. We decided to go to the zoo this morning and walk around. Then walked the Skywalk. These are permanent walkways among the redwoods. They certainly give you a different perspective being up there. While we are not at the top of the trees, more mid-way or at the bottom third mark, you see things differently.

Seems like I have done some skywalks recently. There were the urban skywalks in Minneapolis, and these among the redwoods. Sherri reminded me that there was one in Atlanta as well at their botanical gardens. Upon reflection, I think I like walking among the redwoods the best. Each has their redeeming factors.

Forest View from Skywalk
We came home and had lunch. I took a nap-the body needed it. Sherri watched a movie,
The Seven Dials, an Agatha Christie mystery. David and I decided to go for a walk at McKay Tract. When I looked for Sherri, she was asleep.



So David and I went by ourselves to McKay. We got to the parking lot about 3:15. To start with, we walked the Perimeter Trail. We did this in reverse from before. David and I talked about things-you know how brothers talk. Kevin, David’s good friend, called him, describing how he got injured. David and Kevin talked for a while. A good thing is that David slowed down while talking with him, so I did not get into my huff and puff mode. Once the conversation ended, David and I resumed talking. I noted that my left knee has arthritis and at times can have pain when ascending, such as going up stairs. He suggested a knee brace, such as what Rachel suggested a couple of weeks ago in Minnesota.



Gary playing wingspan



Sherri  in the Park's Garden

We made it home by 4:15. Sherri is now up. By 5, David has dinner on the table-a repeat of last night. Sherri says that this is not left overs. All which I know is that I am content. We talked for a while. While David is showering, Sherri and I watch our TV addiction: J
eopardy! Don, David’s friend, and mine, comes over and we talk about an incident which happened to his family involving a bat.

After Don leaves, we sit around, mostly in silence. I take a shower. David goes to bed before I get out. I follow him to my own bed by 10.



No comments:

Post a Comment